A window washer: tension problem

In summary, a window washer of mass M is sitting on a platform suspended by a system of cables and pulleys. The forces acting on the window washer include the force F that he is pulling on the cable, the tension in the string attached to the platform, the weight of the washer (FG), and the normal force of the platform on the washer (FN). To calculate F, we can treat the person, platform, and bottom pulley as one object. The net force acting on this object is equal to the tension (T) minus the weight (FG) minus the force F. Therefore, F = T - FG.
DakE_FeatH

Homework Statement

A window washer of mass M is sitting on a platform suspended by a system of cables and pulleys as shown. He is pulling on the cable with a force of magnitude F. The cables and pulleys are ideal (massless and frictionless), and the platform has negligible mass.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
FG=mg

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

I said the forces that are pulling the window washer up consist of a force equal to F and a force equal to the tension in the string attached to the platform.

Then, I took into calculation all the forces acting on the washer, which are the platform, the Earth and the cable.

I know that T is upward and F down, and T=|-F|

I need F

I am thinking Fnet is FN + T - FG - F

And I am really stuck :(

Attachments

• ch 7 - window washer.jpg
    ch 7 - window washer.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 732
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can treat the person, platform, and bottom pulley as one object. Then you don't need to worry about the extra variable FN, the normal force of the platform on the person.

So to get Fnet, what are all the forces acting on the "object".

All the forces acting on the object are T, FG and F

so FNET=T - FG - F ?

or is it T=FG+F
F = T - FG ?

F is upward. He pulls down on the rope, so it is pulling up on him (Newton's 3rd Law).

But we're not quite there yet. In how many different places does the rope pull upward on the object?

Related to A window washer: tension problem

1. How does tension affect a window washer's safety?

Tension plays a crucial role in a window washer's safety as it determines the stability and strength of the ropes used to support them. If the tension is too low, the ropes may not be able to support the weight of the window washer and can result in accidents. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it can put unnecessary strain on the ropes and increase the risk of them breaking.

2. What factors can affect the tension of a window washer's ropes?

The tension of a window washer's ropes can be affected by various factors, including the weight of the window washer, the type and quality of the ropes, and the distance between the anchor points. Other factors such as wind speed, temperature, and humidity can also impact the tension of the ropes.

3. How can a window washer ensure proper tension of their ropes?

A window washer can ensure proper tension of their ropes by regularly inspecting and maintaining the ropes and their anchor points. They should also follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the weight limit and type of ropes to use. Proper training and techniques for anchoring and climbing can also help maintain the tension of the ropes.

4. What are some common safety precautions for window washers?

Some common safety precautions for window washers include wearing appropriate safety gear such as harnesses and helmets, using high-quality and well-maintained equipment, and following proper procedures for anchoring and climbing. Regular safety training and inspections are also important for preventing accidents.

5. How can tension problems be identified and resolved?

Tension problems can be identified by conducting routine inspections of the ropes and anchor points for any signs of wear or damage. If there are any issues, the ropes should be replaced or the anchor points should be reinforced. Proper training and techniques can also help prevent tension problems from occurring. If there are any concerns, a professional should be consulted for further assistance.