Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A very bizarre story

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
A couple of months ago I complained about a modeling class I was taking. My complaint was that we were being forced to use certain languages.

Well, for our final project a classmate and I modeled the reservoir system of the ancient Mayan city of Tikal. Our goal was to see if the system could actually provide for all the water needs of the city, and to figure out what it would take to crash the system.

I didn't think our project was that great, but people genuinely seemed to be in awe of what we did. The professor said that we should publish our results.

Well, the guy I was working with has seemingly vanished from the face of the earth. He isn't answering his phone or responding to any other forms of communication.

When we were leaving the campus the other night after our presentation, there were very few cars in the parking lot. He was parked inside a several story parking garage, and I was parked outside the garage. I never actually saw his car come out of the garage, even though I had a fairly good view of the garage from my car. At the time I thought that maybe he exited from the other side of the garage which would have been harder for me to see. But I haven't been able to get in contact with him since then.

He was supposed to email the professor our report. I'm currently trying to get in contact with the professor to find out if he did or not.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Re: a very bizarre story

He is an ancient Mayan who got a hold of a time machine and decided to use it for public good, to figure out the best way to build the city water supply. Now he probably went back and is going to change the reservoir system using your findings, and the future with it. So next time you open a history textbook and see that native Americans discovered Europe in 1492 BC, don't be surprised.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
A couple of months ago I complained about a modeling class I was taking. My complaint was that we were being forced to use certain languages.

Well, for our final project a classmate and I modeled the reservoir system of the ancient Mayan city of Tikal. Our goal was to see if the system could actually provide for all the water needs of the city, and to figure out what it would take to crash the system.

I didn't think our project was that great, but people genuinely seemed to be in awe of what we did. The professor said that we should publish our results.

Well, the guy I was working with has seemingly vanished from the face of the earth. He isn't answering his phone or responding to any other forms of communication.

When we were leaving the campus the other night after our presentation, there were very few cars in the parking lot. He was parked inside a several story parking garage, and I was parked outside the garage. I never actually saw his car come out of the garage, even though I had a fairly good view of the garage from my car. At the time I thought that maybe he exited from the other side of the garage which would have been harder for me to see. But I haven't been able to get in contact with him since then.

He was supposed to email the professor our report. I'm currently trying to get in contact with the professor to find out if he did or not.
Kinda odd and creepy. Reminds me of the Midsummer Murders series. :p

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Flaw in Evengy.Markov's story :

Mayans, because of the minor change in their reservoir system, discovered Europe, and somehow, since every event in time space is in the Giant component, the existence of us is demolished by the crumpling of reality. But since we still 'seem' to exists, it seems we and RV's collaborator are separated by a cross-dimensional barrier, making two dimension - one with everything invariant, and one with everything permuted.

Hence, it is relatively impossible that time really changed and RV's collaborator ever really used a time machine, at least in this dimension.

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
He's alive. But I haven't seen him in person. So he might be sending communications from a thousand years ago.