Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A Verification Dialog Before Cancellation [COMPLETED - QUICK REPLY DISABLED]

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone, :)

Sometimes when we are writing a post in the quick reply mode accidentally the cancel button may be pressed instead of the submit or preview button. The same thing can happen the other way around. Instead of the preview button the submit button may be pressed and a partial reply or something that the poster wouldn't like to be posted will be visible to other members. Whatever the situation may be I think it sometimes creates confusion and even frustration as caused in this tread, http://www.mathhelpboards.com/threads/1089-Show-that-question

The submit button in the POTW submission and answering forms also have the same drawback. The cancel button in the POTW forms, however works differently and do not fall into this category.

I suggest that it would be better to have a dialog appearing to verify if the poster really wants to cancel/submit his answer.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Re: A Verification Dialog Before Cancellation.

I think this is a good idea if the confirmation box can be skipped by clicking "never ask for confirmation" for those who don't want to have it there. I searched all of the standard vB settings and some time on Google but haven't found a way that anyone has really posted about. It seems like a pretty common thing to want. On the other hand sometimes I think that the quick reply option isn't for the best since it's very easy to write something without reading over it for errors in syntax, grammar or just thought. If we didn't have it available I don't know if that would really hurt anything.

So that means the topics on the table in this thread are deciding whether to keep the quick reply option at all and if yes I need to find out how to code a pop-up confirmation box. It will most likely be a simple javascript code but the template system for this is more complicated than most other parts of the site.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012

sometimes I think that the quick reply option isn't for the best since it's very easy to write something without reading over it for errors in syntax, grammar or just thought. If we didn't have it available I don't know if that would really hurt anything.
I would be very happy for the "quick reply" stage to be eliminated altogether. I always click straight through to the "Go advanced" stage even when making a very short, LaTeX-free comment.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

It's great to see agreement on this. We are working with a forum designer on the new MHB theme so I think I'll leave the quick reply option available until we move over to the new look. That should give enough time as well for anyone who objects to removing quick replies to make his or her case.

On the same note, I recommend not paying much attention to the cosmetics of the current site because I won't be changing anything until after the new theme is in place and the problem might not be in the new skin. There will be custom templates all over the site, not just changing the color scheme.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Now that the new theme is up and running with no major issues, I think it's time to decide whether or not to get rid of the quick reply feature on MHB. The current majority opinion is to eliminate this feature due to problems with accidentally canceling posts and in general promoting the idea that posts should be written quickly. If there are no major objections then I'll make this change soon.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Ok, quick reply is disabled. I'm sure there will be some complaints but in the end I think it's better. You can still see all of the posts in the thread where you are replying if you scroll down below the reply box in case someone hadn't noticed this already. See the below picture for an example.

Screen Shot 2012-07-10 at 3.03.54 PM.png