A Trolley oscillates horizonally between two springs....

• Thread starter Mr Smailes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary: Only the labels on the boxes have changed.In summary, @Mr Smailes needs to assume that, when the trolley is in the middle at the equilibrium position, then the springs are neither stretched nor compressed. From there, he can consider the PE of the spring system and see that, at the equilibrium position, the sum of the two potentials is constant.
Mr Smailes said:
E/2 = 1/2k(x/2)^2 and E = 1/2kx^2

As a quick tip, it helps if you start learning how to post using LaTeX to post math equations on discussion forums like PF (see the LaTeX Guide link in the lower left of the Edit window). :smile:

$$ \frac{E}{2} = \frac{1}{2}k ({\frac{x}{2}})^2 $$
and ## E = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 ##

Did I parse your text correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Smailes said:
E/2 = 1/2k(x/2)^2 and E = 1/2kx^2
That is clearly false. You seem to be assuming the answer, and a wrong one.

Please use the subscripted variables I defined, ##x_E, x_{E/2}## - or maybe define X as the max displacement and Y as the displacement when PE=KE - and write the above two equations using those.

To be honest this has confused me further now, I am really not sure where I am going with these equations for a 1 mark question there must be a simpler way to visualise and understand this problem

Mr Smailes said:
To be honest this has confused me further now, I am really not sure where I am going with these equations for a 1 mark question there must be a simpler way to visualise and understand this problem
Well, it really is not that difficult.
Write the equation relating the variables ##E, k, x_E##; write the equation relating the variables ##E, k, x_{E/2}##; solve to find ##x_{E/2}## in terms of ##x_E##.

Can you show that?

Mr Smailes said:
Can you show that?
I'm just asking for the equations you had in post #35 but with ##x_{E/2}## instead of "x/2" and ##x_E## instead of the other ##x##.

Equate to XE/2=XE/2

Mr Smailes said:
Equate to XE/2=XE/2
If you are saying that is the result you get by following what I asked you to do in post #41 then you have made a mistake. Please post your working.