Four charged particles at the corners of a square

In summary: AnswerIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the net electric force on a charged particle that is located at one corner of a square with three other charged particles at the remaining corners. The sides of the square are given and the charges of each particle are specified. The conversation suggests using Coulomb's law and finding the x and y components of each force, then adding them to find the resultant force. The final answer should be in Newtons.
mustang
problem 12.
Four charged particles are placed so that each particle is at the corner of a square. The sides of the square are 13 cm. The charge at the upper left corner 3.6 uC, the charge at upper right corner -6.5 uC, the charge at lower left corner, and the charge at the lower right corner is -9.1 uC.
What is the magnitude of the net electric force on the 3.6 uC charge? Answer in N.
Note: What formula(s) should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Coulomb's law to find the force exerted by each of the three charges on the 3.6 uC charge. Then add these forces, remembering that they are vectors.

(Why did you start a new thread?)

Answer

Is the answer 16.6607574, by adding 4.213065089 with 12.44769231?

I have no idea where you got those numbers. (Show your work.) Start by finding the three forces: magnitude and direction. Find the x & y components of each force, then add them up and get the magnitude of the resultant force.

I use Coloumb's law and each of the other charges given to be multiplied by 3.6*10^-6. So I got -12.44769231 with q_2=-6.5*10^-6,
-4.213065089 with q_2=-2.2*10^-6, and -17.42676923 with q_2=-9.1*10^-6. I added all three and I got -34.08752663, is this correct?

No. You just can't add them, since they point in different directions. Find the x & y coordinates of each. Add them like vectors.

How do you find the x and y coordinates? If I start first by multiply 3.6*10^-6 by each of the other charges and comes were three different numbers what do I do with them?

Answer

Is the answer 21.305 Newtons?

What is the electric field at the center of a square formed by four charged particles?

The electric field at the center of a square formed by four charged particles depends on the magnitude and direction of each particle's charge. It can be calculated by vector addition of the electric fields produced by each particle.

What is the force experienced by a charge placed at the center of a square formed by four charged particles?

The force experienced by a charge placed at the center of a square formed by four charged particles is the vector sum of the forces exerted by each particle. It can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does the electric potential at the center of a square formed by four charged particles vary with the distance between the particles?

The electric potential at the center of a square formed by four charged particles varies with the distance between the particles according to the inverse-square law. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the electric potential decreases.

Can the configuration of four charged particles at the corners of a square produce a net electric field of zero at the center?

Yes, it is possible for the configuration of four charged particles at the corners of a square to produce a net electric field of zero at the center. This can occur if the charges are equal in magnitude and arranged symmetrically.

What factors affect the strength and direction of the electric field at the center of a square formed by four charged particles?

The strength and direction of the electric field at the center of a square formed by four charged particles are affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charges, as well as the distance between the particles. Additionally, the angle at which the particles are positioned relative to each other can also impact the electric field strength and direction.