Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] A theorem on Quadratic Forms in Reid's Book not at all clear.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hello MHB,
I have been reading a book on Algebraic Geometry by Reid.

On page 15, there's a theorem on Quadratic forms. The book doesn't explicitly define what a Quadratic Form is. From Hoffman & Kunze's book on Linear Algebra I found that given an inner product space $V$ over a field $F$, the Quadratic Form determined by the inner product is a function from $V$ to $F$ which maps every vector $v\in V$ to the scalar $||v||^2$.

In the above context I can make sense of Theorem (B) in this:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B77QF0wgZJZ7VmhBcy1BaExTN28/edit

Does anybody see what Reid means by his Theorem B?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
From Hoffman & Kunze's book on Linear Algebra I found that given an inner product space $V$ over a field $F$, the Quadratic Form determined by the inner product is a function from $V$ to $F$ which maps every vector $v\in V$ to the scalar $||v||^2$.
That is a particular case of quadratic form. More general, $Q:V\to F$ is a quadratic form iff there exists a bilinear form $f:V\times V\to F$ such that $Q(x)=f(x,x)$ for all $x\in V.$ Note that a real inner product is a bilinear form.

Does anybody see what Reid means by his Theorem B?
Every cuadratic form on a finite dimensional vector space is diagonalizable. This, as a consequence that every quadratic form can be expressed as $Q(x)=f_s(x,x)$ with $f_s$ symmetric bilinear form (if $\operatorname{carac}F\neq 2$).

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Thank you Fernando Revilla for your help. I have a few follow up questions.

That is a particular case of quadratic form. More general, $Q:V\to F$ is a quadratic form iff there exists a bilinear form $f:V\times V\to F$ such that $Q(x)=f(x,x)$ for all $x\in V.$ Note that a real inner product is a bilinear form.
Is this the most general definition of a Quadratic Form?

Every cuadratic form on a finite dimensional vector space is diagonalizable. This, as a consequence that every quadratic form can be expressed as $Q(x)=f_s(x,x)$ with $f_s$ symmetric bilinear form (if $\operatorname{carac}F\neq 2$).
To understand this better, can you please tell me what does Reid mean by $x_i$'s in his statement. I think his statement is incomplete. He says that there exists a basis such that $Q=\sum_{i=1}^n\varepsilon_ix_i^2$. He doesn't specify what are $x_i$'s.

Can you please write Reid's statement in a more intelligible form?

Thanks.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Is this the most general definition of a Quadratic Form?
Yes, that is the general definition.

To understand this better, can you please tell me what does Reid mean by $x_i$'s in his statement. I think his statement is incomplete. He says that there exists a basis such that $Q=\sum_{i=1}^n\varepsilon_ix_i^2$. He doesn't specify what are $x_i$'s.
Those $x_i$ are the coordinates of a generic vector $x\in V$ with respect to the mentioned basis, and $\epsilon_i$ are elementes of $F.$

Semillon

May 30, 2014
caffeinemachine,

Having sat an examined reading course set by Professor Reid (Dr then) 20 years ago, based on this book, I can only wish you the best of luck in your quest. Thinking back to my revision from this book I am reminded of the following words from Dante's Inferno:

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here...(Sweating)

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
caffeinemachine,

Having sat an examined reading course set by Professor Reid (Dr then) 20 years ago, based on this book, I can only wish you the best of luck in your quest. Thinking back to my revision from this book I am reminded of the following words from Dante's Inferno:

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here...(Sweating)
Haha! I know that feel bro!

Semillon

May 30, 2014
Hi caffeinemachine,

It seems we have a common interest in learning differential geometry rigorously. I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but the following seems like a great resource for complementary free material that could provide alternative avenues when you get stuck. I'm currently using it to get my head around the various equivalent definitions of a manifold (e.g. Munkres vs Spivak).

Free Differential Geometry Books Download | Ebooks Online

Semillon.