A text problem on the study of extrema of a function

In summary, the square inscribed in different isosceles triangles with sides equal to 1 has a side that is not always the same.
urugvai
Consider squares inscribed in different isosceles triangles with sides equal to 1. (One side of the square lies on the bottom.) Find the side of the largest squareView attachment 6546

Attachments

• 149244382124426979[1].png
    149244382124426979[1].png
    7.1 KB · Views: 76
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

You can do this either with or without trigonometry. But in either case I have not found a formula for the largest square side, only an approximate value.

Let the $AC=b$ and $BH=h$. Then the area of $\triangle ABC$ is $(1/2)bh$. It also equals the sum of areas of $\triangle KBL$, the area of the square and the combined area of $\triangle AKN$ and $\triangle CLM$. Let the square side be $x$. Then the combined area of $\triangle AKN$ and $\triangle CLM$ is $(1/2)x(b-x)$. Can you express the area of the remaining figures and write the equation?

For the future, please read the http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/, especially rule #11 (click the Expand button on top).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

You can do this either with or without trigonometry. But in either case I have not found a formula for the largest square side, only an approximate value.

Let the $AC=b$ and $BH=h$. Then the area of $\triangle ABC$ is $(1/2)bh$. It also equals the sum of areas of $\triangle KBL$, the area of the square and the combined area of $\triangle AKN$ and $\triangle CLM$. Let the square side be $x$. Then the combined area of $\triangle AKN$ and $\triangle CLM$ is $(1/2)x(b-x)$. Can you express the area of the remaining figures and write the equation?

For the future, please read the http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/, especially rule #11 (click the Expand button on top).
Thank you very much, but now the solution implies the derivation of the formula for the dependence of the area on some value (which should be chosen), the derivative, critical points, and so on. And the proposed answer introduced me into to a grinding halt.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6547._xfImport

Attachments

• 5435436.PNG
    5435436.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 69
urugvai said:
now the solution implies the derivation of the formula for the dependence of the area on some value (which should be chosen)
We may choose $b$ as the parameter. It varies between 0 and 2. Alternatively, we can choose $h$, which varies between 0 and 1.

urugvai said:
the derivative, critical points, and so on.
Yes, this has to be done, but you should show your work or describe your difficulties.

urugvai said:
And the proposed answer introduced me into to a grinding halt.
This value seems correct, but deriving it analytically will require some work.

I think I would use coordinate geometry, where $\overline{AC}$ lies along the $x$-axis and $H$ is at the origin. We then see that point $L$ must lie along the line:

\(\displaystyle y=2x\)

Now, if the parameter $0<b<1$ corresponds to the length of $\overline{BH}$, then side $\overline{BC}$ will lie along the line:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-b^2}}+\frac{y}{b}=1\)

Since \(\displaystyle x=\frac{y}{2}\), we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{2\sqrt{1-b^2}}+\frac{y}{b}=1\)

Solving for $y$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y\left(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{1-b^2}}+\frac{1}{b}\right)=1\)

\(\displaystyle y\left(\frac{b+2\sqrt{1-b^2}}{2b\sqrt{1-b^2}}\right)=1\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{2b\sqrt{1-b^2}}{b+2\sqrt{1-b^2}}\)

Applying the calculus, we indeed do find:

\(\displaystyle y_{\max}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\left(\sqrt[3]{4}+1\right)^3}}\approx0.4805453399659586\)

I left those steps out for now to give you a chance to fill them in. :D

MarkFL said:

Thanks, but there was a difficulty, is this the sum of vectors?

urugvai said:
Thanks, but there was a difficulty, is this the sum of vectors?

I used the two-intercept form of a line, and the fact that the distance between the two intercepts must be 1. :D

MarkFL said:
I used the two-intercept form of a line, and the fact that the distance between the two intercepts must be 1. :D

The temperature of the brain in the head only increases :(

urugvai said:
The temperature of the brain in the head only increases :(

A line having $x$-intercept at $(a,0)$ and $y$-intercept at $(0,b)$ will be given by:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1\)

Now, if the distance between these intercepts is 1, then we may write:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(a-0)^2+(0-b)^2}=1\)

This implies:

\(\displaystyle a^2=1-b^2\)

If we assume $0<a$, then we have:

\(\displaystyle a=\sqrt{1-b^2}\)

And so we obtain the line:

MarkFL said:
A line having $x$-intercept at $(a,0)$ and $y$-intercept at $(0,b)$ will be given by:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1\)

Now, if the distance between these intercepts is 1, then we may write:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(a-0)^2+(0-b)^2}=1\)

This implies:

\(\displaystyle a^2=1-b^2\)

If we assume $0<a$, then we have:

\(\displaystyle a=\sqrt{1-b^2}\)And so we obtain the line:

Thank you for explaining this in more detail. Sorry that you need to spend so much time explaining
Two more questions
X is the half of the side of the square
Y is the side of the square?

urugvai said:
Thank you for explaining this in more detail. Sorry that you need to spend so much time explaining

Glad to help, and I don't mind one bit explaining anything I've posted that's not clear. :D

urugvai said:
Two more questions
X is the half of the side of the square
Y is the side of the square?

Yes, that's correct. (Yes)

This is what I would do to finish the problem:

We have that:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{2b\sqrt{1-b^2}}{b+2\sqrt{1-b^2}}\)

Demonstrate that differentiating, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y'=\frac{2\left(2\left(1-b^2\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}-b^3\right)}{\sqrt{1-b^2}\left(2\sqrt{1-b^2}+b\right)^2}\)

State with reasons why the only critical value(s) will come from:

\(\displaystyle 2\left(1-b^2\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}-b^3=0\)

Demonstrate that this has the single real root:

\(\displaystyle b=\sqrt{\frac{1}{5}\left(4-2\sqrt[3]{2}+\sqrt[3]{4}\right)}\)

Demonstrate using the first derivative test that this critical value is at the global maximum.

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle y_{\max}=y\left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{5}\left(4-2\sqrt[3]{2}+\sqrt[3]{4}\right)}\right)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\left(\sqrt[3]{4}+1\right)^3}}\approx0.4805453399659586\)

Related to A text problem on the study of extrema of a function

1. What is the definition of extrema in a function?

Extrema refers to the maximum or minimum values of a function. It can be either a local extrema, which is the highest or lowest point in a small interval, or a global extrema, which is the highest or lowest point in the entire domain of the function.

2. How can one determine the extrema of a function?

To determine the extrema of a function, one must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable in the equation to find the critical points. Next, plug in the critical points into the original function to determine whether they are maximum or minimum values.

3. What is the significance of finding extrema in a function?

Finding extrema in a function can help us understand the behavior of the function and its graph. It can also help us optimize the function for a specific purpose, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost.

4. Can a function have more than one extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple extrema, both local and global. This means that there can be more than one highest or lowest point in a small interval or in the entire domain of the function.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the extrema of a function?

Yes, the most common method for finding extrema in a function is using the first derivative test. However, there are also other methods such as the second derivative test and the closed interval method. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the function and the specific problem at hand.