A system of DEs with variable coefficients.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding an analytical solution for a system of differential equations with given initial conditions. The equations involve nonlinear terms and the speaker has already tried solving them numerically. They also mention their professor's suggestion to neglect a certain term in one of the equations, but are still struggling to find a solution.
inertiagrav
Hi. I have been trying for sometime to solve the following system of DEs analytically(Is it possible?) but no luck so far.
$$x''(t)=-z(t)x'(t)-x(t)+y(t),$$ $$y'(t)=-z(t)y(t)+x^2(t)$$ $$z'(t)=-2z^2(t)-x(t)$$.

With the initial conditions ##x(0)=1## , ##x'(0)=0## ,##y(0)=0## and ##z(0)=1##.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
##z'(t)## starts at -3 and things blow up after 1.6 seconds. What do these equations represent ? How long is it supposed to run ?

Hello, thanks for your responses. I solved it numerically in Mathematica before posting it here, even for different sets of initial conditions. I am trying to get an approximate analytical solution and yea, i will ask for a context regarding the equations. Our Professor did say that if needed we can neglect the ##x^2(t) ## term in ##y'(t)## but i still don't see how i can solve it.

Related to A system of DEs with variable coefficients.

1. What is a system of DEs with variable coefficients?

A system of DEs with variable coefficients is a set of differential equations that involve multiple variables and their derivatives, where the coefficients (numbers multiplied by the variables) are not constant but can vary depending on the values of the variables.

2. How is a system of DEs with variable coefficients different from a regular system of DEs?

A regular system of DEs has constant coefficients, meaning the numbers multiplied by the variables are fixed. In a system of DEs with variable coefficients, these numbers can change based on the values of the variables, making the equations more complex to solve.

3. What are the applications of a system of DEs with variable coefficients?

Systems of DEs with variable coefficients have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model real-world situations that involve multiple variables and changing coefficients, such as population growth, heat transfer, and chemical reactions.

4. How do you solve a system of DEs with variable coefficients?

Solving a system of DEs with variable coefficients can be challenging and often requires advanced mathematical techniques such as matrix algebra, Laplace transforms, or power series. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.

5. What are some common strategies for tackling a system of DEs with variable coefficients?

Some common strategies for solving a system of DEs with variable coefficients include separating the variables, using substitution or elimination, and applying linear or nonlinear transformations. It is also important to analyze the system and its properties, such as stability and equilibrium points, before attempting to solve it.