A supplementary length contraction question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of length contraction and its effects on muons traveling towards Earth. The analysis from the ground suggests that due to time dilation, more muons are able to reach ground level. The conversation also explores the idea of length contraction from the point of view of the muon itself, and how it experiences a shorter travel distance compared to what is measured in the lab frame. Ultimately, the conversation seeks to understand the different types of length contraction and their implications for the movement of muons towards Earth.
Glenn G
Sorry community, I know I have another outstanding relativity question but something else is currently troubling me.

What got me thinking was the question of muons moving towards earth. Now according to their half lives very few of them should make it through 12Km of atmosphere...

ANALYSIS FROM GROUND
Now due to t = (gamma) t0 as they are moving very fast in a lab frame their measured half life is longer so it makes sense that more make it to ground level.

Due to L = L0/(gamma) If the muons were like spheres (just for sake of argument) then their dimension in the direction of motion would be squashed whereas dimension perpendicular to this wouldn't be ( so would the spherical particle appear like a flattened disc)?

FROM POINT OF ViEW OF MUON
Wouldn't feel as though it is really living any longer still experience the 2.2 micro seconds half life (or whatever it was?)

Length contraction: due to its motion it would feel as though it had only traveled L/(gamma) so ie less than the 12Km that would be measured in the lab frame.So my main question is about these two 'types' of length contraction one of the moving object itself as viewed from Earth and then the length contraction of the journey to Earth as experienced by the moving muon?

Sorry to bother I promise I'm trying to get it sorted in my head!
G.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your question exactly is regarding the contraction of the muon, as seen from Earth. Yes, in general the muon is squashed (as seen from Earth) by the same gamma as the travel distance is as seen by the muon, but the squashing of the muon as seen from Earth has no meaningful effect. It's the time dilation that makes the big difference in that frame of reference.

Likes Glenn G
Thanks rumborak, I just wanted to check.

Glenn G said:
Length contraction: due to its motion it would feel as though it had only traveled L/(gamma) so ie less than the 12Km that would be measured in the lab frame
To be precise, it wouldn't feel as though it had traveled at all since it is at rest in its frame. Instead, just as the muon is a flattened disk in the Earth frame, so the Earth is a flattened disk in the muon frame. It takes less than 2.2 us for the flattened atmosphere to pass by the muon.

Likes Glenn G and gmax137

1. What is a supplementary length contraction?

A supplementary length contraction is a phenomenon observed in the theory of special relativity, where an object's length appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is often referred to as "Lorentz contraction" or "Fitzgerald-Lorentz contraction".

2. How does a supplementary length contraction occur?

A supplementary length contraction occurs due to the distortion of space and time at high speeds. As an object moves closer to the speed of light, its length appears to decrease in the direction of motion. This is a result of the time dilation and space contraction effects predicted by Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. What is the formula for calculating a supplementary length contraction?

The formula for calculating a supplementary length contraction is L' = L * √(1 - v²/c²), where L' is the contracted length, L is the original length, v is the velocity of the object, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can a supplementary length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, a supplementary length contraction is only observable at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, objects are not moving at speeds high enough to experience significant length contraction.

5. How does a supplementary length contraction affect other properties of an object?

A supplementary length contraction only affects the length of an object in the direction of its motion. Other properties, such as mass and time, are also affected by special relativity, but in different ways. Mass increases and time slows down as an object approaches the speed of light.