A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration.

In summary, the ball was thrown upward from a building 30 meters tall and missed the edge on its way down, hitting the ground 6 seconds after it was thrown. The ball's final velocity was Vf, and its initial velocity was Vi.
ZamielTheGrey

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upward from a building 30 meters tall and misses the edge on its way down, hitting the ground 6 seconds after it was thrown.

A) With what speed was it thrown?
B) What is its highest height?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + at
x = 1/2(Vi + Vf)
x = Vi t + 1/2(at^2)
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax

Vf = final velocity
Vi = initial velocity
a = acceleration
x = distance
t = time

The Attempt at a Solution

So, it is a two part problem, the upward motion, and then the downward.
I will label the distance from being thrown to the highest point of the arc as x1, which is also the same distance down to being level with where it was thrown from, and then x2 is 30 meters.

Thus goes that to find time, I need to use x = Vi t + 1/2(at^2).
xtotal = x1+30
Vi = 0
t2 = 6 - t1
a = 10 (lets make positive downward)

So here I am stumped by the fact that I do not have three known variable to make use of the equation. How am I supposed to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make use of this form of the equation.

x = x0 + v0t + 0.5at2

[edit- you are trying to find v0]

Last edited:
Yeah... so we have two missing variable then. An X and Vo :O

If the x-axis represents height, you know x0 and you know the final x. v0 is the only unknown. Totally solvable.

If I take the base of the skyscraper as the start of the x axis, the ball is thrown up from 30m.

x0 = 30m
xfinal= 0

That completely ignores the up and then down arc of the ball, what am I not understanding?

The up and down arc is not relevant. Let the equation do the work.

[edit-- "a = 10 (lets make positive downward)". If +x is pointing up, then a should be negative.]

Last edited:
So...

x = x0 + v0t + 0.5at2
-30 = V0 + 0.5*(-10*62)
-30 = V0 - 180
150 = V0

Is this it?

Close! You dropped the "t" from v0.

Oh, oops.

x = x0 + v0t + 0.5at2
-30 = V0*6 + 0.5*(-10*62)
-30 = V0*6 - 180
150 = V0*6
V0 = 25

Alright, great, thanks. The second part I can easily do on my own. :)

Good!

Related to A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration.

1. What is "A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration"?

"A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration" is a concept in physics that describes the motion of an object along a straight line with a constant acceleration. This type of motion is also known as uniform acceleration or constant acceleration.

2. How is "A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration" different from regular kinematics?

The main difference is that in this type of kinematics, the acceleration is constant throughout the entire motion, whereas in regular kinematics, the acceleration may change over time. Additionally, "A strange kind of straight line kinematics" often involves non-traditional units of measurement, such as time measured in beats or distance measured in paces.

3. What are some real-world examples of "A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration"?

Some examples include a person walking at a constant speed, a car accelerating at a constant rate, and a rollercoaster moving along a straight track. These examples may seem familiar, but they can be considered "strange" in this context because they involve unconventional units of measurement.

4. How is "A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration" used in scientific research?

This concept is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps scientists understand and predict the motion of objects in different scenarios, which is essential for designing and testing new technologies and studying the movements of celestial bodies.

5. Are there any limitations to "A strange kind of straight line kinematics with uniform acceleration"?

Yes, there are a few limitations to this concept. It assumes that there are no external forces acting on the object and that the acceleration remains constant. In reality, there are often other forces at play, and the acceleration may change over time. Additionally, this concept may not be applicable to complex movements or situations where the object is not moving along a straight line.