A stone is thrown vertically upward.

• Thread starter PHYSStudent098
  • Start date
In summary: I will use that in the equations. Kinematic Equations:v = v(knot) + a(t)V^2 = v(knot)^2 + 2a (X-X(knot))x - X(knot) = v(knot)t + 0.5a(t)^2
PHYSStudent098

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown vertically upward. On its way up it passes point A with speed v, and point B, 3.00 m higher than A, with speed v/2. Calculate (a) the speed v and (b) the maximum height reached by the stone above the point B.

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations

v = v(knot) + a(t)

V^2 = v(knot)^2 + 2a (x - x(knot))

x - x(knot) = v(knot)t + 0.5a(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Because I'm not given time in the problem statement, I believe I start with Kinematic eq two. If I want to find speed at point A, I don't know how to represent that as an x value. I know "a" is "-9.8" but am not given v(knot)^2. I'm left with too many variables.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
PHYSStudent098 said:
... Because I'm not given time in the problem statement, I believe I start with Kinematic eq two.

You have chosen the correct formula.

Use that formula from initial speed v to speed v/2.

But what is my v(knot) and x(knot)? Thank you.

You take point A as the zero reference for distance.

BTW does not v[itex]_{o}[/itex] look better?

V^2 = v(knot)^2 + 2a (A-x(knot))?

Lost.

PHYSStudent098 said:

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown vertically upward. On its way up it passes point A with speed v, and point B, 3.00 m higher than A, with speed v/2. Calculate (a) the speed v and (b) the maximum height reached by the stone above the point B.

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations

v = v(knot) + a(t)

V^2 = v(knot)^2 + 2a (x - x(knot))

x - x(knot) = v(knot)t + 0.5a(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Because I'm not given time in the problem statement, I believe I start with Kinematic eq two. If I want to find speed at point A, I don't know how to represent that as an x value. I know "a" is "-9.8" but am not given v(knot)^2. I'm left with too many variables.

Thank you.
Welcome to PF!

Yes, use the second kinematic equations. Substitute all values given, write XA and xB for the positions. You know that xB=3+xA.

ehild

I am going to write your 'v(knot)' as v[itex]_{o}[/itex].

I repeat. Take point A as your zero reference for the distance. Hence the distance at A would have the value of 0.

Or follow the suggestion of ehild.

Thank you.

But does that not still leave me with V^2 = v(knot)^2 + 2(-9.8)(3-A)?

Sorry.

You have two equations.

If x =A v =V, given.
If x=B=3+A, v= V/2.

Show these equations.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to A stone is thrown vertically upward.

1. What is the initial velocity of the stone when it is thrown vertically upward?

The initial velocity of the stone when it is thrown vertically upward is the speed at which it is launched into the air. This velocity is typically denoted as "u" and can be calculated using the equation u = v + at, where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the stone is in the air.

2. How does the stone's speed change as it travels upward?

As the stone travels upward, its speed decreases due to the force of gravity pulling it back towards the ground. This is because the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the stone's motion, causing it to slow down.

3. What is the maximum height the stone can reach?

The maximum height the stone can reach is known as the peak or highest point of its trajectory. This height is determined by the initial velocity of the stone and the acceleration due to gravity. It can be calculated using the equation h = u^2/2g, where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. At what point in its trajectory does the stone's velocity equal zero?

The stone's velocity will equal zero at the peak of its trajectory. This is because it has reached its maximum height and is about to start falling back towards the ground. At this point, the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the stone's motion, causing it to come to a stop before changing direction.

5. How long does it take for the stone to reach the ground?

The time it takes for the stone to reach the ground is known as the total flight time. It can be calculated using the equation t = 2u/g, where t is the total flight time, u is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This assumes that the stone is thrown from ground level and there is no air resistance.