Ethical Considerations of Cloning: Examining the Controversies

In summary, cloning is a very controversial issue. People have different opinions on whether or not cloning is morally acceptable. Some people think that cloning should not be allowed because it brings another life into the world, while others think that it has great potential for medical purposes.
caumaan
Cloning, still a very controversial issiue, is a subject that has been on my mind for a little while now. I am not an Atheist, but I think it is worth bringing to the table here.

Is it right to clone? Is an organism that is cloned supposed to have some moral issiues with its maunfacture? I SAY NO!

Biology news on Phys.org
I am against replicative cloning, especially humans.

But I think basic science has a lot to learn about the process of organism development, especially how a differentiated cell can be brought to a totipotent state (=a state where any cell type can be reproduced).

Especially important in this light is generating stem cells from a sick person, and using those person-specific cells to generate a cure.

Think for instance about a cure that is different from bonemarrow transplantation, use the persons own cells to generate bone marrow. The basic principles learned in cloning will advance this field.

Assuming that I read you post correctly, you are against replicative cloning but for regenerative cloning. This is an understandable view as brining another human beings into the world due to reproductive flaws or (what is likely to happen) even sheer vanity is appauling.

There is also a flaw here, because it is improving a person's chances for survival by the way of cloning technology. Survivial by indirect cloning should be as controversial as reporductive cloning becuase if these are going to be incorperated with the human body, it is fundamentally the same as giving birth to another person.

I doubt whole human cloning will be possible for a long time, but in the meantime, cloning research holds great promise for medicine and should be encouraged, not outlawed.
There is also a flaw here, because it is improving a person's chances for survival by the way of cloning technology. Survivial by indirect cloning should be as controversial as reporductive cloning becuase if these are going to be incorperated with the human body, it is fundamentally the same as giving birth to another person.
Uh, no. Or do you think the same thing about blood transfusions and transplants?

I was merely suggesting that a person who survives some medical condition by some form of cloning is like bringing another life into the world because it might save that person.

I am not against cloning in this fashion, nor am I any kind of attempted opposition to in vitro fertilization, artificial/artificially implanted organs or limbs, etc.

I sympathize with the concept of not utilizing cloning in human beings for a extended periods of time( decades or centuries) because humans con't control the population in a moral and/or ethical fashion.

As Russ said, your view is strange that regenerative cloning equals giving birth to a new person, since the sick person recovers.

How about gene therapy where a virus incorporates healthy genes in place of defective genes?

Now a cell is modified such that it regains it totipotent character and we can regenerate white bloodcells for a person with leukemia, without having to match HLA bloodtypes.

A regenerative clone cell doesn't have a conciousness other than any other cell in our body.

Originally posted by caumaan
I was merely suggesting that a person who survives some medical condition by some form of cloning is like bringing another life into the world because it might save that person.

I am not against cloning in this fashion, nor am I any kind of attempted opposition to in vitro fertilization, artificial/artificially implanted organs or limbs, etc.

I sympathize with the concept of not utilizing cloning in human beings for a extended periods of time( decades or centuries) because humans con't control the population in a moral and/or ethical fashion.
Then we are on the same line, I too think that reproductive cloning has many negative moral issues attached to it. How many orphans are there on this earth, why aren't they an option after having tried IVF?

Last edited:
My view is not that regenerative cloning brings a new life into that world, but that it bears some similarities in the fact that a person who was about to die will be saved by this process.

Gene therapy is an entirely different issiue. If we are talking about non-medical genetic modifications, then I am partially against the process. When we get right down to it, who doesn't want a perfect kid?

I do support it in the medical field for the elimination of certain diseases and genetic conditions but I do not feel it will be practical for some time to come.

When did all of this talk about a consciousness in cloned cells come into play? I must have missed something.

Originally posted by caumaan
My view is not that regenerative cloning brings a new life into that world
from here.

What new life? I don't get it. You are against CPR too?

1. What is cloning?

Cloning refers to the process of creating an identical copy of an organism by replicating its genetic material.

2. Is cloning ethical?

The ethics of cloning is a highly debated topic. Some argue that it is a violation of the natural order and raises concerns about the potential consequences of creating identical organisms. Others argue that cloning can have beneficial applications, such as in medical research and advancements in agriculture.

3. Can humans be cloned?

While it is technically possible to clone humans, it is currently illegal in most countries due to ethical and moral concerns. Additionally, the success rate of cloning humans is very low and poses significant health risks to the cloned individual.

4. What are the potential benefits of cloning?

Cloning can have potential benefits in various fields, such as in medical research for studying genetic diseases and developing treatments. It can also be used in agriculture to produce genetically identical and potentially higher quality crops and livestock.

5. What are the potential risks of cloning?

Some of the potential risks of cloning include a high failure rate, health risks for the cloned individual, and potential negative impacts on genetic diversity. There are also ethical concerns about the exploitation of cloned individuals and the potential for unintended consequences in the natural environment.