A Solid Calculus and beyond Text

In summary, the person is looking for a good math book to get in depth on some of the topics covered in calculus, and specifically PDE. They have checked out Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences by Boas and Mathematical Methods for Physics and Physicists by W. Appel, but are unsure if either is good. Both books have good reviews, but the newer edition of the book from 1974 is preferred.
physman88
hey all,

I DO NOT KNOW THE BEST FORUM TO PUT THIS! So i chose calculus...

I am a junior physics/mathematics double major. I am looking for a good math book to really get in depth on some of these topics. I have had Calc 1-3, ODE, PDE, and a special functions class (Legendre, Laguerre, Bessel functions etc.) and i am looking for a really good math book that has more background on all of these topics, especially PDE and its outreaches. I have Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas, and I currently have from the library Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences by K.F. Riley that I really like, but can't seem to find in hardcover anywhere to purchase.

My question is, what do you suggest for further study?

The library here has a huge mathematics/physics section so i can check most any book out before I purchase anything. I would really like the math to be geared toward physics or at least the physical science. Although a good math book that's not applied would be sufficient.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try checking out Arfken's mathematical methods book and see if you like it.

I have checked that one out, and didnt really like it. It was an older model of the book though.

I recently looked at:

-Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by K.F. Riley. I really like the older edition of the book from like 1974 which my library has and I am currently using for Fourier Transforms. I like the older edition, and the new seems to have more topics and has great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521679710/?tag=pfamazon01-20

-Mathematics for Physics and Physicists by W. Appel. This seems to be okay, my library has it. I haven't looked too deep into it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691131023/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyone have any ups or downs to either of these two?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to A Solid Calculus and beyond Text

1. What is "A Solid Calculus and beyond Text"?

"A Solid Calculus and beyond Text" is a comprehensive textbook that covers the study of calculus and its applications in detail. It is designed for students and professionals in the fields of mathematics, engineering, and physics.

2. What topics are covered in "A Solid Calculus and beyond Text"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics including limits, derivatives, integrals, differential equations, and multivariable calculus. It also includes applications of calculus in real-world scenarios such as optimization, motion, and growth models.

3. Is "A Solid Calculus and beyond Text" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the textbook is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of calculus and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. It also includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help readers understand the concepts.

4. Are there any supplemental materials available for "A Solid Calculus and beyond Text"?

Yes, there are supplemental materials such as online practice exercises, interactive simulations, and video lectures available for "A Solid Calculus and beyond Text" to enhance the learning experience.

5. Is "A Solid Calculus and beyond Text" suitable for self-study?

Yes, the textbook can be used for self-study as it includes comprehensive explanations, examples, and practice problems. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and pre-calculus before using this textbook for self-study.