A Solenoid, a Moving Magnet, and a Light Bulb -- Will the Light Bulb LIght Up?

In summary: The magnetic field created by the solenoid has the opposite direction of the magnetic field of the magnet so it opposes the magnet's magnetic field. This opposition creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the solenoid. This current then runs through the bulb, lighting it up. In summary, by passing a magnet back and forth through a coil of wire, a changing magnetic field is created which induces a current in the coil, lighting up the connected light bulb.
Illuminitwit

Homework Statement

"A light bulb is connected to a coil of wire. If a magnet is passed back and forth through the coil the bulb will light up. Why?"

Homework Equations

The Lenz Law isn't really an equation, but it states that: "The magnetic field of the induced current is in a direction to produce a field that opposes the charge causing it."
Faraday's Law: emf = -N(∆ΦM / ∆t)
emf is electromotive force,
N is number of loops in the circuit,
∆ΦM is the magnetic field strength,
∆t is the time

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've written so far, but I think it sounds a little strange because I'm not sure I used the concepts and terms correctly:

"The solenoid connected to the light bulb has the ability to act like a magnet if a current is sent through it. When a magnet approaches the solenoid, according to Lenz's law, the magnetic field creates an induced current in the solenoid that produces a magnetic field that opposes the magnetic charge causing it. If the magnet passes back and forth through the coil and continues moving, it creates an alternating current that lights up the bulb."

If you could please read it for me and point out any errors in use of Physics concepts or errors in understanding that would be better explained another way, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confused a bit. You can say that the solenoid has the ability to act like a magnet is a current is sent through it but the creation of the magnetic field by the solenoid is not what lights the bulb. The bulb lights because the induced current runs through it.

Related to A Solenoid, a Moving Magnet, and a Light Bulb -- Will the Light Bulb LIght Up?

1. How does a solenoid, a moving magnet, and a light bulb work together to light up the bulb?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. When a moving magnet is placed inside the solenoid, it induces an electric current in the wire. This current then flows through the circuit and powers the light bulb, causing it to light up.

2. What materials are needed to create a solenoid, moving magnet, and light bulb circuit?

To create this circuit, you will need a length of wire to create the solenoid, a magnet that can be easily moved inside the solenoid, and a light bulb with a socket to connect to the circuit.

3. Can any type of magnet be used in this circuit?

Yes, any type of magnet can be used as long as it is able to move inside the solenoid and induce an electric current.

4. How can the light bulb be turned off in this circuit?

The light bulb can be turned off by either removing the magnet from inside the solenoid or by disconnecting the circuit.

5. What is the scientific explanation for why the light bulb lights up in this circuit?

The movement of the magnet inside the solenoid creates an electric current in the wire. This current then flows through the circuit and powers the light bulb, causing it to light up. This is possible due to the principles of electromagnetism and the conversion of magnetic energy into electrical energy.