Why Is Tornado Alley a Hotspot for Twisters?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tornado
In summary, Tornado Alley is a region of the United States where the majority of the world's tornadoes occur every year. Pecos Hank showcases these terribly majestic storms in two videos.
Drakkith
Mentor
For those of you not from the United States, tornado alley is a region of the U.S. where the majority of the world's tornadoes occur every year. The U.S. sees about 1200 tornadoes per year on average, with most of them occurring inside the region extending roughly from Texas northwards to Canada, and from the Rocky Mountains eastward to the Appalachian Mountains. Below are a couple of videos from stormchaser Pecos Hank showcasing these terribly majestic storms. Enjoy!

@phinds don't let your fur get blown away!

Likes davenn and collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
@phinds don't let your fur get blown away!
Glad I'm not near those twisters. I'd bark at'm so much I'd get a sore throat.

Likes collinsmark and Drakkith
My initial EMS training included Mass Casualty Incident training, and that included a long video of the aftermath of a very large tornado that tore through several towns. I think there were something like 4 ambulances to treat about a 10 square mile area of injured patients. There just happened to be film crews embedded with a couple of the ambulance crews that day, so all the footage was real-time. Very intense!

Likes Drakkith
berkeman said:
I think there were something like 4 ambulances to treat about a 10 square mile area of injured patients.

Wow. They must have been seriously overworked...

Drakkith said:
Wow. They must have been seriously overworked...
Yeah, even that's an understatement. The main ambulance that was the subject of much of the footage was a mixed rig (paramedic + EMT), and they set up at a lightly-damaged high school in the Gym, and recruited local residents to help with the traffic control for the line of pickup trucks that were cycling through the parking lot, dropping off groups of injured patients, and transporting the most urgent patients to the closest hospital (about 20 miles away). The suburbs around the high school were mostly leveled, and notice went out by word-of-mouth that there was medical help at the high school.

I'd had some limited introductions to working in small-scale MCIs before getting my EMS certs, but that video really drove home that this stuff is for real, and you will be working on the edge in a big one. Running out of supplies, having to improvise on lots of things, thinking on your feet, and dealing with extremely serious injuries. I was a different (and better) person after that video, and I've used the lessons learned several times in real life in the years since then.

Tornado Alley is scary, but then again, I live on the Hayward Fault. I want to move someplace safer...

Last edited:
Likes davenn, collinsmark and Drakkith
I've spent a couple dozen years in Tornado Alley and had a few close calls. Fortunately for me, never did they involve my own personal injury or property damage. Unfortunately, not everybody in the area can say the same. Tornadoes can be devastating.

------

On a lighter note, that rainbow toward the end of the second video reminded me of this (albeit a bit morbid) satire:

Likes Drakkith

Related to Why Is Tornado Alley a Hotspot for Twisters?

What is "A Small Taste of Tornado Alley"?

"A Small Taste of Tornado Alley" is a documentary film that explores the science behind tornadoes and the experiences of storm chasers in the infamous Tornado Alley region of the United States.

What topics are covered in the film?

The film covers a wide range of topics related to tornadoes, including the formation and behavior of tornadoes, the role of technology in tracking and predicting tornadoes, and the dangers and excitement of storm chasing.

Who created "A Small Taste of Tornado Alley"?

The film was created by a team of scientists, filmmakers, and storm chasers, including meteorologist and filmmaker Sean Casey.

What makes this film unique?

This film stands out for its combination of scientific information and real-life experiences of storm chasers, giving viewers a deeper understanding of the power and unpredictability of tornadoes.

Is this film appropriate for all ages?

The film is suitable for viewers of all ages, but younger viewers may find some scenes of storm chasers in danger or severe weather conditions to be intense or frightening.