A sled is being pulled accross horizontal, snow covered ground

In summary: Remember that μk is a dimensionless ratio, so your answer should not have units.In summary, a 16-kg sled is pulled along a horizontal snow-covered ground with a force of 24 N, reaching a speed of 2.0 m/s in 8.0 m. Using Newton's 2nd law, the net force acting on the sled is found to be 20 N. The friction force is then calculated to be 16 N and the coefficient of kinetic friction is determined to be 0.102.
smaan

Homework Statement

A 16-kg sled is being pulled along the horizontal snow-covered
ground by a horizontal force of 24 N. Starting from rest, the sled attains
a speed of 2.0 m/s in 8.0 m. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction
between the runners of the sled and the snow.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the acceleration of the sled by using the v^2 = v0+2ax. So, 2^2 = 2(a)(8), which gives me 0.25 m/s^2. I also calculated the normal force. Since it is a horizontal plane, it would be (9.81)(16) = 156.96 N.

Not to sure how to get the μFk from here.

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
How might you find the friction force acting on the sled? (Hint: Newton's 2nd law.)

smaan said:

Homework Statement

A 16-kg sled is being pulled along the horizontal snow-covered
ground by a horizontal force of 24 N. Starting from rest, the sled attains
a speed of 2.0 m/s in 8.0 m. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction
between the runners of the sled and the snow.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the acceleration of the sled by using the v^2 = v0+2ax. So, 2^2 = 2(a)(8), which gives me 0.25 m/s^2. I also calculated the normal force. Since it is a horizontal plane, it would be (9.81)(16) = 156.96 N.

Not to sure how to get the μFk from here.

Thank you for your time

If that is indeed the acceleration [I don't doubt you - I have just not checked your answer] you should know the net force, and thus how large the friction that opposes the applied 24N force.
Once you have the size of the friction force, you should be able to calculate the coefficient of friction, since you have the normal force.

Doc Al said:
How might you find the friction force acting on the sled? (Hint: Newton's 2nd law.)

Would the frictional force be F=ma? So would F=(16kg)(0.25m/s^2)=4N?

So then, μk=Fk/FN. So, since I found the normal force to be 156.96 N, the kinetic friction coefficient would be 4/156.96 = 0.022548?

smaan said:

So then, μk=Fk/FN. So, since I found the normal force to be 156.96 N, the kinetic friction coefficient would be 4/156.96 = 0.022548?

Newtons second law, using the actual acceleration, gives you the net Force acting.
The applied Force plus the Friction Force [adding as vectors of course] give the net Force.

The answer you give here is not correct.

smaan said:
No. When you use F = ma, remember that F is the net force. So it's better to write it as: ƩF = ma.

There are two horizontal forces acting: The pulling force and the friction force. Set up an equation and solve for the friction force.

Once you solve for the correct friction force, then this method will give you μk.

Related to A sled is being pulled accross horizontal, snow covered ground

1. What is the force required to pull a sled across horizontal, snow covered ground?

The force required to pull a sled across horizontal, snow covered ground depends on several factors such as the weight of the sled, the friction between the sled and the ground, and the angle at which the sled is being pulled. In general, a greater force is required to pull a heavier sled or to pull it over rougher terrain.

2. How does the friction between the sled and the ground affect its movement?

The friction between the sled and the ground can either help or hinder its movement. If the friction is too high, it can make it difficult to pull the sled and slow down its movement. On the other hand, if the friction is too low, the sled may slide out of control and be difficult to steer.

3. What factors can affect the speed of the sled as it is being pulled across horizontal, snow covered ground?

The speed of the sled can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the sled, the friction between the sled and the ground, the angle at which it is being pulled, and the force applied to pull the sled. A heavier sled or higher friction can slow down the speed, while a lighter sled or lower friction can increase the speed.

4. How does the angle at which the sled is being pulled affect its movement?

The angle at which the sled is being pulled can greatly impact its movement. Pulling the sled at an angle can create a sideways force that can either help or hinder its movement. A steeper angle may provide more control, while a shallower angle may increase the speed of the sled.

5. Is it more difficult to pull a sled across horizontal, snow covered ground compared to other types of terrain?

Generally, it is more difficult to pull a sled across horizontal, snow covered ground compared to other types of terrain. The snow can create higher levels of friction, making it harder to move the sled. Additionally, the weight of the sled can sink into the snow, making it more difficult to pull. However, factors such as the type and depth of the snow, as well as the weight of the sled, can also impact the difficulty of pulling the sled.