A skier starts from a hill 1000m high

• Thread starter unholymist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary, a skier starting at a height of 1000m travels 800m down a slope and passes a tree after covering a horizontal distance of 700m. Using the equations of motion and assuming no friction, her final velocity parallel to the slope is calculated to be an unreasonable value. This is likely due to the neglect of factors such as air resistance and the skier's mass, which would limit the speed achievable on a ski slope.
unholymist
A skier starts from a hill 1000m high...

Homework Statement

A skier starts from a hill 1000m high. She skies down the slope a distance of 800m and passes a tree. During this time she has covered a horizontal distance of 700m.

a) Calculate her velocity, in km/h, as she passes the tree.
b) Explain why this is such an unreasonable answer.

Homework Equations

Energy, Motion, Forces as far as I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4481894/%234%20attempt%201058.jpg

That's what I've done so far. I basically assumed no friction and, using trigonometry, solved for her acceleration parallel to the slope. Then, using the equations of motion, I solved for her final velocity parallel to the slope. Whether that was done correctly I am not sure of. However, I am stuck trying to find mass. In part B it asks to explain why that velocity is so unreasonable. I'm thinking it's because it would imply that her mass is quite huge... but I can't prove it with a number, lol.

Anyone want to help? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

unholymist said:
That's what I've done so far. I basically assumed no friction and, using trigonometry, solved for her acceleration parallel to the slope. Then, using the equations of motion, I solved for her final velocity parallel to the slope. Whether that was done correctly I am not sure of.
Looks good to me.
However, I am stuck trying to find mass.
Why are you trying to find the mass? (You won't be able to, given the information you have.)
In part B it asks to explain why that velocity is so unreasonable. I'm thinking it's because it would imply that her mass is quite huge... but I can't prove it with a number, lol.
Part B is a bit vague. I assume they want you to explain why such a high speed is not reasonable. What additional factors that you have neglected would limit the speed of a skiier?

Related to A skier starts from a hill 1000m high

1. How long does it take for the skier to reach the bottom of the hill?

The time it takes for the skier to reach the bottom of the hill depends on several factors such as the slope of the hill, the skier's speed, and the snow conditions. Generally, it would take between 2-3 minutes to ski down a 1000m high hill at a moderate speed.

2. What is the average speed of the skier while skiing down the hill?

The average speed of the skier while skiing down the hill would depend on the slope of the hill and the skier's skill level. On average, a skilled skier would reach speeds of around 40-50 km/h while skiing down a 1000m high hill.

3. Can the skier control their speed while skiing down the hill?

Yes, the skier can control their speed while skiing down the hill by using techniques such as carving, snowplowing, or using their poles to slow down. These techniques require practice and skill to execute properly.

4. How does the height of the hill affect the skier's experience?

The height of the hill can greatly affect the skier's experience. A higher hill would mean a longer and more exhilarating ski run, while a shorter hill would mean a quicker and less challenging run. The height of the hill also affects the difficulty of the slope, with higher hills usually having steeper slopes.

5. Is skiing down a 1000m high hill dangerous?

Skiing down a 1000m high hill can be dangerous if the skier is not properly trained or equipped. It is important for skiers to always wear appropriate safety gear and to follow the rules and regulations set by the ski resort. With proper precautions and training, skiing down a 1000m high hill can be a thrilling and safe experience.