A Simple-ish Kinematics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve for the takeoff speed of a long jumper who leaves the ground at a 45 degree angle and lands 9.1m away. The conversation mentions using the equations P_x(t) = V_0cos(theta)t and P_y(t) = V_0sin(theta)t + 1/2gt^2, where g is the gravitational acceleration, to determine the initial velocity. The conversation ends with the conclusion that there are two equations with two unknowns, allowing for the solution of V_0.
Lancelot59
A long jumper leaves the ground at 45o above the horizontal and lands 9.1m away. What is her "takeoff" speed?

Well I have

Dx=VxT, but I'm missing some variables, and substitution is failing me. How can I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
P_{x}(t) = V_{0}cos(theta) t

You can use that to relate initial velocity to time.

We know at least that gravity is acting against the jumper in the downward direction. Assuming there isn't air drag or other external forces, we have:

P_{y}(t) = V_{0}sin(theta) t + 1/2gt^{2}

P_{y}(t) will be 0 when the person lands, and g is obviously -9.81. Thus we have two equations with 2 unknowns, so we can solve for V_{0}.

I'm not really getting how this comes together.

EDIT: Nevermind, my confusion was over some of my own silliness. I get it now. Thanks for your help!

Related to A Simple-ish Kinematics Problem

What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is a Simple Kinematics Problem?

A Simple Kinematics Problem is a problem that involves the motion of an object without taking into account the forces acting on it.

What are the key concepts in solving a Simple Kinematics Problem?

The key concepts in solving a Simple Kinematics Problem are displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These concepts are related by kinematic equations that describe the motion of an object.

How do you approach a Simple Kinematics Problem?

To solve a Simple Kinematics Problem, you should first identify the known and unknown variables, use the appropriate kinematic equations to relate these variables, and then solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation.

What are some common mistakes made when solving a Simple Kinematics Problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving a Simple Kinematics Problem include using the wrong kinematic equations, not considering the direction of motion, and not converting units correctly. It is important to carefully read the problem and double check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.