A simple area calculation, where is the mistake ?

In summary: It's more general than that. It'2 2/3 for every parabola.I used:\[\int_{0}^{4}\frac{1}{2}x^{2}dx\]to do the area under the function, in the normal way, I got 21.333and then I subtracted is from 32, the area of the rectangle.
Yankel
Hello all

I have solved a problem, and my answer differ from the one in the book from where it's taken. I think I did it correctly, can you assist ?

In the attached photo we have the graph of f(x)=0.5x^2
(half of x squared)

In the rectangle ABCO, BC is twice the size of OC. Calculate the dashed area.

View attachment 1186

The answer in the book is 21.3333
My answer is 10.666667

I think that 21.3333 is the area that complete to the whole rectangle. Am I right ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• area.JPG
    area.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
Your textbook is correct. Are you given a formula, or are you supposed to use integration? I ask because you posted in the Pre-Calculus forum, so I didn't know exactly what pre-calculus technique would be used.

Integration.

How can the area be 21.333 ?

Yankel said:
Integration.

What definite integral did you use to represent the area?

Yankel said:
Integration.

Doesn't it look like about 2/3 of the area of rectangle ABCO.

Well, it turns out that it is exactly 2/3 of that area.

M R said:
Doesn't it look like about 2/3 of the area of rectangle ABCO.

Well, it turns out that it is exactly 2/3 of that area.

Interestingly, it turns out to be 2/3 of the rectangular area for any parabola of the form $y=ax^2$ and for any rectangle having the opposing vertices $(0,0)$ and $\left(b,ab^2 \right)$. :D

MarkFL said:
Interestingly, it turns out to be 2/3 of the rectangular area for any parabola of the form $y=ax^2$ and for and rectangle having the opposing vertices $(0,0)$ and $\left(b,ab^2 \right)$. :D

It's more general than that. It'2 2/3 for every parabola.View attachment 1187

Attachments

• parabola.png
    parabola.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 64
I used:

\[\int_{0}^{4}\frac{1}{2}x^{2}dx\]

to do the area under the function, in the normal way, I got 21.333
and then I subtracted is from 32, the area of the rectangle.

Edit: Found my mistake, stupid one actually. My way was perfect, I "forgot" to multiply by 0.5...and got opposite result.

Sorry guys :eek:

To find the area directly, you could use:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_0^4 8-\frac{x^2}{2}\,dx\)

which as you can see is equivalent to what you did. :D

Related to A simple area calculation, where is the mistake ?

1. What is the formula for calculating area?

The formula for calculating area depends on the shape of the object. For a square or rectangle, it is length x width. For a circle, it is π x (radius)^2. Other shapes have their own specific formulas.

2. How do I know if my area calculation is correct?

You can verify your area calculation by double-checking your measurements, using the correct formula, and following the appropriate steps for calculating area. You can also compare your result to previously calculated areas or use an online calculator.

3. What are common mistakes when calculating area?

Some common mistakes when calculating area include using the wrong formula, incorrect measurements, forgetting to convert units, and rounding errors. It is important to carefully check each step of the calculation to avoid mistakes.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when calculating area?

To avoid mistakes when calculating area, it is important to use the correct formula, accurately measure all sides and angles, convert units if necessary, and double-check all calculations. It may also be helpful to have someone else verify your work.

5. Are there any shortcuts for calculating area?

There are no specific shortcuts for calculating area, but there are some tips that can make the process easier. These include breaking the shape into smaller, simpler shapes, using known formulas for common shapes, and using estimation techniques when precise measurements are not available.