A severe localized wind blasting down from a thunderstorm

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, a microburst is a short-lived and intense wind that comes from a thunderstorm and covers an area less than 2.5 miles in diameter. It is often associated with high electric potentials between clouds and the ground and can be observed through the effects of high voltage experiments. However, the exact cause of microbursts is not fully understood.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Definition:

MICROBURST
A severe localized wind blasting down from a thunderstorm. It covers an area less than 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) in diameter and is of short duration, usually less than 5 minutes.
Related term: downburst

http://www.weather.com/glossary/m.html

I have spent a lot of time playing with high voltage. For one HV experiment we were using steam or smoke for some reason...hmmm...I don't even remember why exactly, but when the system was on, in effect we had a highly charged, mini cloud system over a grounded plate - separated by perhaps three feet. As soon as power was applied - about 30KV - a dramatic and energetic pattern in the fog was seen that looked just like a microburst in real weather system.

The results were obvious and expected but the observation was striking and it made for a tempting idea. Could microbursts be caused by high electric potentials between the clouds and ground? Just before a lighting discharge, the cloud to ground gradient can approach 30KV per meter. AFAIK, wind, not electric potential, is always used to explain these plane killing events. Maybe the wind is a byproduct of the event and not the cause.

I have always wanted to pass this observation along to someone who might know if any potential exists for an explanation here; pun intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I should add that to the best of my knowledge, much about these events in not well understood.

Related to A severe localized wind blasting down from a thunderstorm

1. What is a severe localized wind blasting down from a thunderstorm?

A severe localized wind blasting down from a thunderstorm, also known as a microburst, is a sudden downward burst of wind that occurs when a thunderstorm collapses. It can cause strong winds of up to 100 mph, which can be extremely dangerous and damaging.

2. How is a microburst different from a tornado?

While both a microburst and a tornado are strong wind events, they have different characteristics. A tornado is a rotating column of air that extends from the base of a thunderstorm to the ground, while a microburst is a straight-line wind event that occurs when cold air rushes down from a thunderstorm and hits the ground.

3. What causes a microburst to form?

A microburst is typically caused by a combination of cold, dense air sinking rapidly from a thunderstorm and evaporative cooling, which occurs when raindrops evaporate and cool the surrounding air. This creates a strong downdraft that can result in a microburst.

4. How long does a microburst last?

A microburst typically lasts for 5 to 15 minutes, with strong winds lasting for about 2 to 5 minutes. However, the damage caused by a microburst can last much longer, as it may take time to repair any damage to buildings, trees, and other structures.

5. What should I do if I encounter a microburst?

If you are caught in a microburst, seek shelter immediately. Stay away from windows and move to the lowest level of a sturdy building. If you are outside, find a low-lying area and crouch down with your head covered. Do not try to outrun a microburst, as the winds can be extremely strong and dangerous.