A semicircular loop of radius a carries positive charge Q....

In summary: The vectorial contribution to the electric field at the center of a semicircular loop of radius a is given by:dE = (k*dq)/a^2
robren

Homework Statement

A semicircular loop of radius a carries positive charge Q distributed uniformly...

Find the electric field at the loop's center (point P in the figure). Hint: Divide the loop into charge elements dq as shown in the figure, and write dq in terms of the angle dθ, then integrate over θ.Express your answer in terms of i^, j^, k, Q, a.

Homework Equations

I know dq = Q/pi * dtheta

i know dE = (k*dq)/a^2 => [(k*dq)/(pi*a^2) ] * dtheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I do everything up until the integral dE... then solving for E
solving the integral of E = integral from 0 to pi | dE * dtheta

I've looked up how to do that and I see how it is done, (probably not understanding it correctly though) because the integral of dE * dtheta apparently gets you 2[(k*q)/(pi*a^2)] and I have no idea how the 2 got there...

Also, the answer I'm looking for is in i^, j^ forms apparently so the way I'm doing it I think is a little different from how my instructor want's me to do it, or maybe just the conversion through trig in the end could give me x/y components but I simply don't know how since a ring charge doesn't give any y-component field... (maybe I am wrong?)

So please explain how the 2 was gotten in the integral, or how it was done (really I'm not looking for the answer I already have it if i need it so please don't do hints or anything as the i^, j^ was pretty much a hint...

Also I wan't to know exactly what the i^ and j^ constitute as a charge for a ring charge... (i can probably assume those from understanding how the integral could be done but also just have no idea how to get i and j from this other than doing trig but idk how to apply that with the integral equations. JUST SUPER CONFUSED BUT NO REALLY...
physpic.jpg
physpic.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
robren said:
integral from 0 to pi | dE * dtheta
There are two problems here that you are not considering. First of all, you are adding the contributions to the electric field as if they were scalar quantities. The electric field is a vector field and takes vector values. Therefore you must add the contributions as vectors, including their magnitude as well as direction. Second, you have two different differentials in a one dimensional integral, which does not make sense.

that's why I'm confused... I don't think I explained it properly but...

I know the vector adding is what I'm looking for.. I just don't know how to get there from the integral equation and...

I saw the two differentials dE and dtheta in my integral, that's why I'm confused because I understand how E can = dE*dtheta but am I then doing u sub or some form of sub to get the integral? I just really would like to have some help of setting up and why... I'm trying to work through this as well and telling me two things I did wrong is simply making me more confused because I KNOW IM WRONG and I can't get anywhere by looking at an improperly set up process..

Orodruin said:
There are two problems here that you are not considering. First of all, you are adding the contributions to the electric field as if they were scalar quantities. The electric field is a vector field and takes vector values. Therefore you must add the contributions as vectors, including their magnitude as well as direction. Second, you have two different differentials in a one dimensional integral, which does not make sense.

if that makes sense

robren said:
I saw the two differentials dE and dtheta in my integral, that's why I'm confused because I understand how E can = dE*dtheta

Then this is the first piece of understanding you need to work on because it is wrong.

What is the vectorial contribution to the E field from a small element dθ located at angle θ?

Related to A semicircular loop of radius a carries positive charge Q....

1. What is the purpose of a semicircular loop of radius a carrying positive charge Q?

The purpose of a semicircular loop of radius a carrying positive charge Q is to create a magnetic field and to study the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic field strength affected by the radius and charge of the semicircular loop?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the radius of the semicircular loop and the charge on the loop. As the radius or charge increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field created by a semicircular loop carrying positive charge Q?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the semicircular loop and follows the right-hand rule, with the fingers pointing in the direction of current flow and the thumb pointing in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field created by a semicircular loop change when the loop is placed in different orientations?

The strength and direction of the magnetic field created by a semicircular loop will vary depending on the orientation of the loop. When the loop is placed in different orientations, the magnetic field lines will also change direction accordingly.

5. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field strength at a point in the vicinity of a semicircular loop carrying positive charge Q?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field strength at a point in the vicinity of a semicircular loop is B = μ0I/2a, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and a is the radius of the loop.