What kind of authority do the Advisors have?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary, Advisors are distinguished and trusted members of the Physics Forums community who are dedicated to improving the forum for the future. They look after the principles of the forum and can contribute ideas and help solve forum issues. They do not have any specific duties, but can be thought of as forum representatives. They do not have the authority to edit others' posts, but they have a large say in determining whether a post should be edited or not.
Mentat
I don't know if this is the right Forum to post this thread, but I have a question. What kind of authority do the Advisors have? I know the scope of the Mentors' authority and that of the Administrator, but I never understood what the Advisors are capable of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good question,

Advisors are a selected few that have shown their dedication towards bettering PF in many ways. They are distingished, trusted and look to improve PF for the future. Advisors look after the principles of the forum and can contribute ideas and help problem solve forum issues. Everything you'd expect from an advisor. They don't have any duties per say, think of them as forum representatives. Does that help, or do you have a more specific question I can help you with?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Good question,

Advisors are a selected few that have shown their dedication towards bettering PF in many ways. They are distingished, trusted and look to improve PF for the future. Advisors look after the principles of the forum and can contribute ideas and help problem solve forum issues. Everything you'd expect from an advisor. They don't have any duties per say, think of them as forum representatives. Does that help, or do you have a more specific question I can help you with?

That makes sense. I think such people deserve respect.

I was wondering, though, are they allowed to edit others' posts, if the contents are unacceptable?

No Mentat they can't, but they obviously have a large say in whether a post should be edited or not.

What kind of authority do the Advisors have?

The authority of the Advisors varies depending on the context and situation. In general, they are seen as experts in their respective fields and have the power to make decisions and provide guidance and recommendations to others.

How do the Advisors gain their authority?

The Advisors gain their authority through a combination of education, experience, and expertise in their chosen field. They are often highly respected and recognized for their contributions and accomplishments in their area of expertise.

What is the role of the Advisors in decision-making processes?

The role of the Advisors in decision-making processes is to provide valuable insights and recommendations based on their expertise. They often serve as consultants or advisors to decision-makers and their opinions are considered important in the decision-making process.

Do the Advisors have the final say in decision-making?

No, the Advisors do not have the final say in decision-making. They may provide guidance and recommendations, but ultimately the decision rests with the decision-makers. The role of the Advisors is to provide valuable input to help inform the decision-making process.

What happens if the decision-makers do not follow the advice of the Advisors?

If the decision-makers do not follow the advice of the Advisors, it may result in a less informed or potentially flawed decision. However, the decision-makers have the ultimate authority and responsibility for the decisions made. The Advisors may continue to provide guidance and recommendations, but ultimately it is up to the decision-makers to determine the best course of action.