A rough calculation on the duration of lunar eclipse

In summary, the conversation discussed the recent lunar eclipse and the calculations for its duration. The lunar eclipse was observed by many and the duration was estimated based on the distance between the sun, Earth, and moon. The calculations showed that the longest duration of the lunar eclipse is approximately 3.25 hours for a partial eclipse and 1.76 hours for a total eclipse. It was noted that the moon does not always pass directly through the thickest part of the Earth's shadow.
Valium
I guess many have watched the lunar eclipse last night
I was just thinking about the duration of a lunar eclipse on my way home

sun-to-earth = 1.5x10^8 km, moon-to-earth = 384400 km
R(Earth) = 6378 km, R(Sun) = 6.96x10^5 km, R(Moon) = 1378 km
Moon's period around Earth = 27.3 days

x / (x +1.5x10^8) = 6378 / 6.96x10^5
x = 1.39x10^6 km

y = x - 384400 = 1.00x10^6 km

z / 6378 = y / x
z = 4610 km
(I guess this is a good approximation for the figure is not to scale)

For partial eclipse:

384400 θ = 2z + 1378x2
θ = 0.0312 rad

t(partial) = θ /2π x 27.3 x 24 = 3.25 hours

For total eclipse:
384400 φ = 2z - 1378x2
φ = 0.0168 rad

t(total) = φ /2π x 27.3 x 24 = 1.76 hours

Please comment and make amendments if you find any mistakes in my calculations

Attachments

• Le1.jpg
    Le1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 707
  • Le2.jpg
    Le2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 676
  • Le3.jpg
    Le3.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 651
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The calculations are fine, but you missed one thing: The moon need not (and typically does not) pass directly through the thickest part of the Earth's shadow.

russ_watters said:
The calculations are fine, but you missed one thing: The moon need not (and typically does not) pass directly through the thickest part of the Earth's shadow.

right, so this should be the longest duration of lunar eclipse

1. How long does a lunar eclipse last?

The duration of a lunar eclipse can vary, but on average, it lasts for about 3 hours and 30 minutes.

2. Can the duration of a lunar eclipse be predicted?

Yes, the duration of a lunar eclipse can be predicted based on the type of eclipse and the position of the moon and earth.

3. Why does the duration of a lunar eclipse vary?

The duration of a lunar eclipse can vary due to the elliptical shape of the moon's orbit and the different distances between the moon and earth during each eclipse.

4. How often do lunar eclipses occur?

Lunar eclipses occur about twice a year, but not all of them are visible from all locations on earth.

5. Can the duration of a lunar eclipse impact the moon's appearance?

Yes, the duration of a lunar eclipse can affect the color and brightness of the moon during the eclipse. A longer eclipse may result in a darker and redder moon due to the scattering of light through Earth's atmosphere.