A rotating system of two point particles with inner torque

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of two rotating point particles and the torque exerted by each particle on the other. The concept of inner torques and their significance in the system is questioned and the author's explanation is deemed confusing. The presence of forces in the diagram is brought up as a possible explanation for the inner torques, but it is still unclear.
bolzano95
Lets say we have a system of two point particles (1. and 2.) which are rotating around an axis.
IMG_8329.jpg
What is written next in my physics course book is: The torque of a 2.body on the 1. body is M21=r1xF21 and the torque of the 1.body on the 2.body is M12=r2xF12. Understandable.
But how? There is no mention or suggestion that those two particles are attracted each other.

I don't understand why are we having inner torques in this example- we are dealing with a system: and it's normal that the inner forces cancel each other out based on the 3rd Newtons Law.
So why are we dealing with inner torques?

I think it's useless thinking about inner torques in the system: if we divide a rigid body to tiny pieces and we take them as point particles, the sum of inner torques is 0.

But the author is trying to derive a general equation for a rotating system of point particles and a rigid body. But he starts explaining the theory in such a confusing way that I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
bolzano95 said:
But how? There is no mention or suggestion that those two particles are attracted each other.
Aren't the forces shown in the diagram enough of a suggestion?

1. What is a rotating system of two point particles with inner torque?

A rotating system of two point particles with inner torque refers to a system of two particles that are connected by a rigid rod or axis, and are rotating around a fixed point with the application of an internal torque or force.

2. How is the inner torque calculated in this system?

The inner torque in this system is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the system by its angular acceleration. The moment of inertia is a measure of the system's resistance to rotational motion, and is dependent on the mass and distribution of the particles.

3. What is the significance of the inner torque in this system?

The inner torque in this system is responsible for causing the rotational motion of the particles. It is an internal force that acts within the system and is necessary for the particles to maintain their rotational motion.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the behavior of this system?

The distribution of mass within the system affects the moment of inertia and therefore the amount of torque needed to maintain the rotational motion. A more compact distribution of mass will result in a lower moment of inertia and require less torque, while a more spread out distribution will result in a higher moment of inertia and require more torque.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this system?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of a rotating system of two point particles with inner torque. Some examples include the rotation of planets and moons around their respective axes, the motion of a spinning top or gyroscope, and the movement of a rotating motor or engine.