Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Number Theory A result involving two primes I think is true.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hello MHB.
There's a number theory problem I was solving and I can solve it if the following is true:

Let $p, q$ be distinct odd primes. Let $pk=q-1$ for some integer $k$. Then $p^k \not\equiv 1 \,(\mbox{mod } q)$.

I considered many such primes to find a counter example but failed. Can anyone see how to prove or disprove this?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Hello MHB.
There's a number theory problem I was solving and I can solve it if the following is true:

Let $p, q$ be distinct odd primes. Let $pk=q-1$ for some integer $k$. Then $p^k \not\equiv 1 \,(\mbox{mod } q)$.

I considered many such primes to find a counter example but failed. Can anyone see how to prove or disprove this?
\(q=31,\ p=5,\ k=6\)

\(p^k=15625=504\times 31+1\)

CB

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
\(q=31,\ p=5,\ k=6\)

\(p^k=15625=504\times 31+1\)

CB
Don't know if I should be happy or sad. This result was my best shot at the problem.

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
perhaps you might post the actual problem you're trying to solve?

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
perhaps you might post the actual problem you're trying to solve?
Let $p$ be an odd prime. Show that there exists a prime $q$ such that $q \not |(x^p-p)$ for all integers $x$.

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Let $p$ be an odd prime. Show that there exists a prime $q$ such that $q \not | (x^p - p)$ for all integers $x$.
The claim seems to holds true for prime $q = kp + 1$ for some $k \in \mathbb{N}$, $p > 3$, this progression is compatible with Dirichlet's Theorem thus $q$ is guaranteed to exist.

Last edited:

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
The claim seems to holds true for prime $q = kp + 1$ for some $k \in \mathbb{N}$, $p > 3$, this progression is compatible with Dirichlet's Theorem thus $q$ is guaranteed to exist.
That's exactly what I had in mind. My strategy didn't work though. See my first post in this thread. Do you have a way to make this work?

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
That's exactly what I had in mind. My strategy didn't work though. See my first post in this thread. Do you have a way to make this work?
Oh, wow, I apologise, the rearrangement in your first post threw me off. I don't have any idea right at the moment but I will think about it. It's an interesting problem.

EDIT: It seems the necessary condition is $p | q - 1$, so we just need an actual proof of that. But I still don't understand why it requires $p > 3$.

Last edited: