A result involving two primes I think is true.

• MHB
  • Thread starter caffeinemachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation discusses a number theory problem about finding a prime number that does not divide a specific expression. The problem can be solved if there exists an odd prime $q$ such that $q \not | (x^p - p)$ for all integers $x$. The participants consider different values of $p$ and $q$ and discuss possible strategies to prove or disprove the claim. It is suggested that the necessary condition for the claim is $p | q - 1$ and the case for $p > 3$ is of particular interest.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB.
There's a number theory problem I was solving and I can solve it if the following is true:

Let $p, q$ be distinct odd primes. Let $pk=q-1$ for some integer $k$. Then $p^k \not\equiv 1 \,(\mbox{mod } q)$.

I considered many such primes to find a counter example but failed. Can anyone see how to prove or disprove this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Hello MHB.
There's a number theory problem I was solving and I can solve it if the following is true:

Let $p, q$ be distinct odd primes. Let $pk=q-1$ for some integer $k$. Then $p^k \not\equiv 1 \,(\mbox{mod } q)$.

I considered many such primes to find a counter example but failed. Can anyone see how to prove or disprove this?

\(q=31,\ p=5,\ k=6\)

\(p^k=15625=504\times 31+1\)

CB

CaptainBlack said:
\(q=31,\ p=5,\ k=6\)

\(p^k=15625=504\times 31+1\)

CB
Don't know if I should be happy or sad. This result was my best shot at the problem.

perhaps you might post the actual problem you're trying to solve?

Deveno said:
perhaps you might post the actual problem you're trying to solve?
Let $p$ be an odd prime. Show that there exists a prime $q$ such that $q \not |(x^p-p)$ for all integers $x$.

Let $p$ be an odd prime. Show that there exists a prime $q$ such that $q \not | (x^p - p)$ for all integers $x$.

The claim seems to holds true for prime $q = kp + 1$ for some $k \in \mathbb{N}$, $p > 3$, this progression is compatible with Dirichlet's Theorem thus $q$ is guaranteed to exist.

Last edited:
Bacterius said:
The claim seems to holds true for prime $q = kp + 1$ for some $k \in \mathbb{N}$, $p > 3$, this progression is compatible with Dirichlet's Theorem thus $q$ is guaranteed to exist.
That's exactly what I had in mind. My strategy didn't work though. See my first post in this thread. Do you have a way to make this work?

caffeinemachine said:
That's exactly what I had in mind. My strategy didn't work though. See my first post in this thread. Do you have a way to make this work?
Oh, wow, I apologise, the rearrangement in your first post threw me off. I don't have any idea right at the moment but I will think about it. It's an interesting problem.

EDIT: It seems the necessary condition is $p | q - 1$, so we just need an actual proof of that. But I still don't understand why it requires $p > 3$.

Last edited:

Related to A result involving two primes I think is true.

1. What is a result involving two primes?

A result involving two primes is a mathematical statement or theorem that involves the use of two prime numbers. Prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves, such as 2, 3, 5, 7, etc.

2. How do you know if a result involving two primes is true?

To determine if a result involving two primes is true, one must use mathematical proof techniques. This involves using logical reasoning and mathematical equations to show that the statement is valid and holds true for all cases.

3. What makes a result involving two primes significant?

A result involving two primes can be significant for a variety of reasons. It may provide insight into the properties of prime numbers, or it may have applications in other areas of mathematics or science. Additionally, if the result is proven to be true, it adds to the body of knowledge in mathematics.

4. Are there any famous results involving two primes?

Yes, there are several famous results involving two primes, such as the Goldbach's conjecture, which states that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. Another famous result is the Twin Prime Conjecture, which states that there are infinitely many pairs of prime numbers that differ by 2.

5. Can a result involving two primes have real-world applications?

While the study of prime numbers may seem purely theoretical, there are actually many practical applications for results involving two primes. For example, prime numbers are used in modern encryption methods to ensure secure communication over the internet. They are also used in algorithms for data compression and error correction in technology.