A Refraction of Light Question : Why Does Diamond Sparkle More? (Ans. )

In summary, the critical angle of diamond is 24 degrees, meaning that light within the diamond cannot pass back out into the air unless it is closer to the perpendicular than 24 degrees. This makes diamond an effective light-trap, resulting in a sparkling appearance in bright light. The angles for refraction are measured from the perpendicular to the surface, and the art of gem-cutting involves beveling the facets to maximize internal reflection.
incognito301
***** A Refraction of Light Question : Why Does Diamond Sparkle More? (Ans. ASAP please)

I have thought about this question for a while now,but I can't figure out the answer:

Diamond has a critical angle of 24 degrees. Crown glass has a critical angle of 42 degrees. Why does a diamond sparkle more in bright light than a piece of crown glass, even with the equivalent shape?

The light rays only reflect when their angles of incidence is less than the critical angle (I think!). 42 > 24, so diamond should let more light refract (or pass through and not reflect. So it should shine less! That's not what the question says! :confused:

Help me out ASAP please.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you are forgetting the definition of critical angle. The angles for refraction are measured from the perpendicular (or normal) to the surface. So light within the diamond cannot pass back out into the air unless it is closer to the perpendicular than 24º (or making an angle to the surface greater than 66º). Any ray making a shallower angle to the surface will undergo total internal reflection and stay within the crystal.

A substantial part of the art of gem-cutting is to bevel the facets of the crystal so that light rays will undergo internal reflection as long as possible, thus making the gem the most effective possible light-trap.

Last edited:

Hi there,

First of all, let me clarify that the critical angle is the angle at which light is completely reflected inside a medium, instead of being refracted. This phenomenon is known as total internal reflection and it occurs when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium.

Now, back to your question. The reason why diamonds sparkle more than crown glass is due to their unique atomic structure. Diamonds are made up of carbon atoms arranged in a specific crystalline structure, which allows for the dispersion of light into the different colors of the rainbow. This is known as the diamond's fire or brilliance.

Moreover, diamonds have a higher refractive index compared to crown glass, meaning that they bend light at a greater angle. This results in a higher amount of light being reflected back to our eyes, giving the diamond its characteristic sparkle.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please let me know. Have a great day!

Related to A Refraction of Light Question : Why Does Diamond Sparkle More? (Ans. )

1. Why do diamonds sparkle more than other gemstones?

Diamonds are known for their unique sparkle, which is due to their high refractive index. This means that when light enters a diamond, it bends and reflects multiple times before exiting, creating a brilliant and sparkling effect.

2. How does the refraction of light play a role in the sparkle of diamonds?

The refraction of light is the process of light bending as it passes through a material. In diamonds, this bending is very strong due to their high refractive index, causing the light to be split into different colors and creating a sparkling effect.

3. Can the cut of a diamond affect its sparkle?

Yes, the cut of a diamond plays a crucial role in its sparkle. A well-cut diamond will have precise angles and proportions, allowing light to enter and reflect evenly, resulting in a more brilliant and sparkling diamond.

4. Do all diamonds sparkle the same?

No, not all diamonds will sparkle the same. The quality of a diamond's cut, clarity, and color can affect its sparkle. Additionally, different lighting conditions can also impact how much a diamond sparkles.

5. Is the sparkle of a diamond permanent?

Yes, the sparkle of a diamond is permanent. However, factors such as dust, dirt, and oils can affect how much light enters and reflects within the diamond, temporarily dulling its sparkle. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help keep a diamond's sparkle consistent.