A real challenge: real gas isothermal delta h

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses creating an enthalpy table for two cases of superheated steam using software. The first case involves an isobaric process at a chosen pressure and the second case involves an isothermal process at a chosen temperature with a given Vg value. The conversation also mentions using the 4 Maxwell equations, Pv=zRT and Pv=RT(IDEAL), and equations for internal energy (u) and enthalpy (h). The attempt at a solution involves integrating the Cp function for the first case and using the equation dh=[v-T*(∂V/∂T)p]dP for the second case. The expert recommends using this equation and substituting the chosen temperature and
Harry-cy

Homework Statement

Using any software, create the enthalpy table for the following two cases of superheated steam:

1. Isobaric process at a chosen pressure in 100 spaces of 5 degrees celcius.
2. Isothermal process at a chosen temperature, given Vg from the book, in 1000 spaces of 0.1 bar

Homework Equations

The 4 maxwell equations
Pv=zRT, Pv=RT(IDEAL)
du=Tds-pdv, dh = Tds-vdp
dh=CpdT + [v-T*(∂V/∂T)p]dP <---- MAIN EQUATION
Can use many more though

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys (and girls). I just created my account, this is my first threat. I came across this very difficult problem and I am IN NEED for some help. I managed to solve relatively easy the first part. I integrated the Cp function since dP=0 and voila, I was done. I use FORTRAN, but I can use Excel if necessary.The problem is the second part. Since the process is isothermal, CpdT=0. But I cannot use ideal gas equations. I chose a temperature and found the Vg from my book. Then I integraded both sides and ended up with:
hf-hi = v(Pf-Pi) - T*?(Pf-Pi), where '?' is the integrated (∂V/∂T)p part. I tried it as an ideal gas, as a compressibility factor Z equation, I even put various values in Excel and plotted the V(T) at a constant pressure equation, but the answers are definitely wrong. I triple checked the programming code. Any help from some experts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question here. I am a scientist with experience in thermodynamics and I would be happy to assist you with this problem.

Firstly, let me commend you on your efforts in solving the first part of the problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations involved and how to use them. However, for the second part, there are a few things to consider.

Since the process is isothermal, the temperature remains constant throughout. This means that the internal energy (u) and enthalpy (h) also remain constant. Therefore, the equation you have used, hf-hi=v(Pf-Pi)-T*?(Pf-Pi), may not be applicable in this case.

Instead, you can use the equation dh=CpdT+[v-T*(∂V/∂T)p]dP, as you have mentioned in your post. However, in this case, since the temperature is constant, the term CpdT will be zero. This leaves us with the following equation:

dh=[v-T*(∂V/∂T)p]dP

Since you have already chosen a temperature and found the corresponding Vg from your book, you can substitute those values in the equation and integrate it to find the change in enthalpy (hf-hi). This will give you the enthalpy table for the isothermal process at the chosen temperature.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to A real challenge: real gas isothermal delta h

What is real gas isothermal delta h?

Real gas isothermal delta h is a thermodynamic property that represents the change in enthalpy (heat energy) of a gas at constant temperature and pressure. It takes into account the non-ideal behavior of real gases, which deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures.

What is the significance of studying real gas isothermal delta h?

Studying real gas isothermal delta h allows us to understand and predict the behavior of real gases in various conditions, which is important in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It also helps us to improve industrial processes, such as the production of liquefied natural gas.

How is real gas isothermal delta h measured?

Real gas isothermal delta h can be measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat exchanged between a gas and its surroundings at constant temperature and pressure. This allows us to calculate the change in enthalpy of the gas.

What factors affect real gas isothermal delta h?

The factors that affect real gas isothermal delta h include the type of gas, temperature, pressure, and volume. Different gases have different real gas isothermal delta h values due to their molecular properties, and temperature and pressure can also impact the behavior of gases.

How does real gas isothermal delta h differ from ideal gas isothermal delta h?

Ideal gas isothermal delta h refers to the change in enthalpy of an ideal gas (which follows the ideal gas law) at constant temperature and pressure. Real gas isothermal delta h takes into account the non-ideal behavior of real gases, which can deviate significantly from the predictions of the ideal gas law. Therefore, the values of ideal gas isothermal delta h and real gas isothermal delta h may differ for the same gas under the same conditions.