A question that asks you to figure out the mass of the moon

In summary: The mass of the moon is also needed to solve this problem.In summary, to calculate the mass of the moon, you need to know the acceleration due to gravity on the moon and the radius of the moon, which are 1/6 and 1/3.65 of the values on Earth, respectively. Using the equation a = GM/R^2, you can solve for the mass of the moon without needing to know the mass of the earth.
Hmpca

Homework Statement

the radius of the moon is 1 over 3.65 of the radius of the earth, while the acceleration due to gravity of the moon is 1 over 6 of that on the earth`s surface. calculate the mass of the moon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmpca said:

Homework Statement

the radius of the moon is 1 over 3.65 of the radius of the earth, while the acceleration due to gravity of the moon is 1 over 6 of that on the earth`s surface. calculate the mass of the moon.

The acceleration due to gravity - we call it g on Earth - is given by GM/R2. Where G is the universal constant of gravitation; M is the mass of the central body; and R is the distance form the centre of mass - the radius of the body if we consider g on the surface. You know sufficient of those values to calculate the mass of the Moon as a fraction of the mass of the Earth, which is a value that can be looked up easily.

i thought you could figure out the mass of the moon without knowing the mass of the earth. tomorrow i have an exam and my teacher said don`t expect me to give you any sheet with equations and constants. so i guess i got to memorize the mass of the earth.
thank you

a = GM/R2

g = (1/6)(9.81) = X m/s2

r = (1/3.65)(6.378x106) = Y m

m/r2 = a/G

m/(Y)2 = X/ (6.67x10-11)

m = ANS kg

the person asking for help is supposed to set up the problem, give relevant equations etc. before getting help from outside. Where are your equations??

In answer to your question - you do have to know the formulas probably but not the mass of the earth.

Related to A question that asks you to figure out the mass of the moon

1) What is the mass of the moon?

The mass of the moon is approximately 7.34 × 10^22 kilograms.

2) How do scientists determine the mass of the moon?

Scientists use a combination of orbital dynamics and gravitational forces to calculate the mass of the moon. This involves measuring the moon's gravitational pull on other objects in space and using Kepler's laws of motion to calculate its mass.

3) Why is knowing the mass of the moon important?

Knowing the mass of the moon is important for understanding its gravitational pull on Earth and other celestial bodies, as well as its role in the Earth's tides. It also helps scientists to better understand the formation and evolution of the moon.

4) Has the mass of the moon changed over time?

Yes, the mass of the moon has changed over time due to factors such as meteorite impacts, solar wind, and tidal forces from Earth. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly affect the overall mass of the moon.

5) How accurate is our current understanding of the mass of the moon?

Our current understanding of the mass of the moon is relatively accurate, with some uncertainty due to limitations in measurement techniques and variations in the moon's surface composition. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology continue to improve our understanding of the moon's mass.