Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A question/suggestion concerning inactive users [PROJECT TO BEGIN SOON]

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Do you think it would be a good idea to send an email to members who have not signed on for a given period of time stating something to the effect that that their presence has been missed?

I think the wording of such an email would have to be carefully chosen so as not to come off as a nagging message...

I would be glad to compose such a message (subject to acceptance by the staff of course) if the consensus here is that this would be a good idea.

What say ye?

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Re: A question/suggestion concerning inactive users

Do you think it would be a good idea to send an email to members who have not signed on for a given period of time stating something to the effect that that their presence has been missed?

I think the wording of such an email would have to be carefully chosen so as not to come off as a nagging message...

I would be glad to compose such a message (subject to acceptance by the staff of course) if the consensus here is that this would be a good idea.

What say ye?
I think such mails should be sent when we "add something new to the forum". That is, say we updated or added tutorials on a topic, e.g. Diff. eqns., then we can send the members a mail saying "New tutorial on Differential Equations added".

I have been thinking of this for some time that MHB should have good math literature written by our members on a wide variety of topics. Of course links to great blogs can be given but I think its better to have OUR own math content. I have not seen this feature on any of the math forums I have visited so far. In fact there already is a diff eqn tutorial by Ackbach here... isn't it?

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Yes, I really like this idea as well...in fact I just began what will be quite a lengthy topic concerning the Pell sequence. I plan to post a portion once a week, and I have enough material to last well over a year.

I think this kind of thing will add great value to our site!(d)

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012

Yes, I really like this idea as well...in fact I just began what will be quite a lengthy topic concerning the Pell sequence. I plan to post a portion once a week, and I have enough material to last well over a year.

I think this kind of thing will add great value to our site!(d)
That's great. I think we should have a separate sub-forum where we post MHB's own math content. I read the first episode in the series. You are kind of a story teller in this series I guess. So your posts won't directly go into the sub-forum (If we have one, that is). May be a condensed form of your posts could be put there. I am hoping this happens.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

My first post there is more of a story, to lay the foundation a bit, but subsequent posts will be much more mathematical. However, I do plan to thoroughly explain how and why I came to the conclusions I did, as the intended audience is for those at the pre-calculus level. My goal is to perhaps encourage those just beginning their mathematical journeys to explore some on their own.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

1) I think this is a good idea, provided that we can mention some improvements or something new at MHB since the old users last visited. vBulletin has a way to send out mass emails based on various criteria so this is easily doable. I don't think we should focus too much on getting old users back as much as getting new users though. We have an awesome team of knowledgeable math helpers for all levels and just need to spread the word that this resource is available. So let's try one email to non-active members but not worry about it much more beyond that. Sound reasonable?

2) Focusing on custom MHB math content is a very good thing for us to do, in my opinion. Ackbach and chisigma have already written some great tutorials that we should compile into PDFs and Chris L T521 should be furthering his own tutorial this year. Also, dwsmith has recently posted some of his class notes which are also helpful. This can and should be used to our benefit somehow.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Sounds very reasonable! ;)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I think I found a nice add on that we can install to accomplish this task - check it out here. It seems like we can make the template look much nicer than just plain text as well.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Very cool!

Let me know if I can help in any way at all!

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
I agrre with MarkFL proposal. At any case, I would like to comment that MHB will grow up in a natural way. I mean that not always quality is sinonym of success due to an extrange and sociological sensitivity to initial conditions, but for the same reason the trend can suddenly change. I predict a good future.