A question relating to frequency i think a 10 year could do this but i cant lol

In summary, the conversation discusses converting wavenumbers to wavelength. The wavenumber given is 400 cm-1 and the expression v=vbar*c is used to find the frequency in Hz. The speed of light is then converted to cm/s to ensure SI units are used. However, the final answer in nm is incorrect and it is discovered that the conversion factor used was incorrect. The correct conversion factor for nm should be 1*10^-8.
physical101

Homework Statement

I want to convert wavenumbers into wavelength. The wavenumber is 400cm-1 and i used the expression v=vbar*c to get the frequency in Hz to be 1.2*10^13, I also remembered to convert c into cm/s so that frequency is in its SI units (seconds). I then simply thought that I could use the expression lambda=c/v to get the answer i require and then multiply that answer by 1*10^9 to get my answer in nm instead of ms. I know the answer should be
2500nm but i get 25000nm. Why do i have this factor of 10? where did it come from?

Homework Equations

i began with vbar=400 cm-1

so then i said that

v=vbar*c

v=400*3*10^10

v=1.2*10^13 Hz

I then said that

lambda nm=(c/v)*1*10^9

lambda=(3*10^8/1.2*10^13)1*10^9

lambda = 25000 nm when it should be 2500nm or 2.5um

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see above

I know this forum is used mainly by graduates who set each other calculus based challenges but any help for a simple folk like me would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need to convert to m/s for SI units; not cm/s.

i thought that because vbar is equal to 400cm-1 that I would need to convert the speed of light to 3*10^10 so that its units become cm/s so that the cm cancel and leave the SI unit for frequency which is seconds? Is that where i went wrong?

i got it now like a fool the nm is not 1*10^-9 but 1*10^-8, please post tho if u think I am still wrong

1 nm = 1*10^-9 m

I get 25000nm as well (assuming wavenumber means 1/wavelength)

I only read as far as the "convert to cm" and assumed that was the problem.
I don't understand why you are using the speed of light and the wave equation to do this.
If the wavenumber in 400 cm-1, that is all the information you need.
This equals 40000m-1
1/400000 = wavelength in meters
=0.000025m
=25000nm

http://imgwe.com/accessbee/27/1.png I'm[/URL] 30 and I still don't know this. It depends where your learn. You could be learning it from asia or the Caribbean. imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to A question relating to frequency i think a 10 year could do this but i cant lol

What is frequency and why is it important?

Frequency refers to the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time. It is important because it helps us understand patterns, relationships, and changes in various phenomena.

How is frequency measured?

Frequency is measured using units of hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. It can also be measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or cycles per minute (CPM) for rotational events.

What is the difference between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are related but distinct concepts. Frequency is the number of times a wave oscillates per unit of time, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave.

What are some real-world applications of frequency?

Frequency has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. It is used to study sound and light waves, design electronic circuits, and diagnose medical conditions through techniques like ultrasound and MRI.

Can a 10-year-old understand the concept of frequency?

It depends on the individual child's level of understanding and exposure to the concept. Some 10-year-olds may have a basic understanding of frequency, while others may find it challenging to grasp without proper guidance and explanation.