A question regarding Fourier transform in electron microscop

In summary, the conversation discusses the recording of a micrograph at a specific magnification on a digital camera and the computation of the Fourier transform of the resulting image. The spacing of the finest detail in the transform is equal to the size of the image, while the spacing between points is also determined by the size of the image. Further information and resources on discrete Fourier transform are recommended for a better understanding.
i_a_n
I have recorded a micrograph of a 2-D array at a magnification of 43,000x on my DE-20 digital camera, which has a 6.4 μm pixel size and a frame size of 5120 × 3840 pixels. This magnification is correct at the position of the camera. I then compute the Fourier transform of the image. What is the spacing of the finest detail (highest resolution Fourier Coefficient) that I can hope to obtain in the computed transform, with respect to the actual particle itself in the specimen plane? What is the spacing between points in the computed Fourier transform (with respect to the original object, i.e. the crystal)?

I feel confused about the Fourier transform. So any help will be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure this adresses your question, but the Fourier transform is not a function on ordinary space, it is a function on the space of (spatial) frequencies. The smallest frequency present in your image is 1/L where L is the size of your image (where "1" is some constant depending on conventions). The spacing between frequencies is also 1/L.

I suggest that you look up topics about discrete Fourier transform, there you can find how to calculate the finest possible resolution for the calculate object.

Related to A question regarding Fourier transform in electron microscop

1. What is a Fourier transform in electron microscopy?

A Fourier transform in electron microscopy is a mathematical operation that is used to analyze the spatial frequency components of an electron microscopy image. It converts an image from its original spatial domain into its frequency domain, allowing for the visualization and analysis of different spatial frequencies in the image.

2. What is the purpose of performing a Fourier transform in electron microscopy?

The purpose of performing a Fourier transform in electron microscopy is to better understand the structural and compositional features of a sample. By analyzing the spatial frequency components of an image, researchers can gain insight into the arrangement and distribution of atoms and molecules within a sample.

3. How is a Fourier transform performed in electron microscopy?

To perform a Fourier transform in electron microscopy, a digital image of the sample is first obtained using an electron microscope. This image is then processed using specialized software that applies a mathematical algorithm to convert the image from the spatial domain to the frequency domain. The resulting frequency domain image can then be further analyzed and interpreted by the researcher.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier transform in electron microscopy?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Fourier transform in electron microscopy. One limitation is that the technique is most effective for homogeneous samples with repeatable structures, and may not be as useful for studying complex or disordered structures. Additionally, the accuracy of the Fourier transform can be affected by factors such as sample thickness and beam intensity.

5. What are some applications of Fourier transform in electron microscopy?

Fourier transform in electron microscopy has a wide range of applications in materials science, nanotechnology, and biology. It can be used to study the structure of crystalline materials, identify defects and impurities in samples, and analyze the arrangement of molecules in biological samples. It is also commonly used in conjunction with other imaging techniques to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of a sample's properties.