Problem:help my bus is on a cliff

• Thread starter ratt10mm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus
In summary, the person on the bus is asking which way to walk in order to not die. The explanation is that it's like a scale and they should walk towards the side that is resting on the cliff's edge. This is due to the principle of conservation of momentum, not conservation of mass. The person should not worry about their movement causing a significant reaction because of the relative difference in masses between them and the bus. They should also not worry about the Earth's movement being affected. The number of wheels on the bus is unclear, but if it is two wheels, the person should move towards the safe side to make the bus more stable.
ratt10mm
ok i have a problem, the bus I am on is on a cliff, with both wheels on the ground, and I am asked which way do i need to walk to so i don't die. well i know that i need to walk towards the danger side of the bus because for instance if you are on a giant skateboard and you walk on it it moves the opposite direction. howver i need my answer to be in terms of physics and formula and whatnot, what are the principals that explain this? help me if u can. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's like a scale. If you want to live you'd better walk
towards the side that rests, or will rest once you get there,
on the cliff's edge rather than the one that's hanging in the
air. Then you jump off quickly (though that depends on whether
it is your bus and if so - how much it cost you ).
I hope you didn't do what you said you should !
You still there ?!

It's conservation of momentum, not conservation of mass...

Considering the relative difference in masses between you and the bus, I don't think the reaction from your movement would be really significant...

are https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3173 allowed on the forums ?

Originally posted by FZ+
It's conservation of momentum, not conservation of mass...

Considering the relative difference in masses between you and the bus, I don't think the reaction from your movement would be really significant...

exacly what i was thinking.
If that were to happen, then the same would happen to the Earth if you were walking on it. But even if you had all the people in the world walking in the same direction, the Earth's movment would be to small to notice.
Yeah, so you need not worry about that to much. Even a giant scateboard wouldn't move to much(depending on its mass)

I can't understand the situation, the buses 2 wheels are on the cround..but buses have a minimum of 4 wheels.
If it were four, then you shouldn't worry unless you are on a slant..then its bad and not much you can do.
If its to wheels, the remaining two must be over the clif, in this case - the must is acting like a leaver. To if you move towards the dangerside, there is more weigth pushing the bus off the cliff. So move to the safe side and the mus will become more stable.

1. How did the bus end up on the cliff?

The bus likely ended up on the cliff due to a combination of factors such as driver error, mechanical failure, or adverse weather conditions.

2. Are there any passengers on the bus?

This information is not specified in the problem statement. However, it is important to check for any potential passengers in the bus and prioritize their safety in the rescue process.

3. What is the danger of the bus being on the cliff?

The bus being on the cliff poses a serious danger to both the passengers on the bus and anyone in the surrounding area. The bus could potentially fall off the cliff, causing injuries or fatalities.

4. How can the bus be safely removed from the cliff?

The safe removal of the bus from the cliff will depend on the specific circumstances of the situation. It may involve the use of specialized equipment, such as cranes or tow trucks, and careful planning to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

5. What should I do if I witness a bus on a cliff?

If you witness a bus on a cliff, it is important to call emergency services immediately and provide as much information as possible, such as the location and any potential hazards. Do not attempt to approach the bus or rescue anyone on your own, as this could put you in danger as well.