A question on virtual antiparticles and Hawking Radiation

In summary, the process of Hawking radiation happens because virtual particles sometimes fall into black holes, and the energy that is associated with these particles gets turned into a real process.
jacksonb62
I know that Hawking Radiation is caused by the separation of virtual particles on the event horizon of a black hole, but I do not understand why the antiparticle is always the particle from the pair that falls into the black hole. It seems to me that the gravitational effects of the black hole should effect both particles equally.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would like to know this as well.

jacksonb62 said:
I know that Hawking Radiation is caused by the separation of virtual particles on the event horizon of a black hole, but I do not understand why the antiparticle is always the particle from the pair that falls into the black hole. It seems to me that the gravitational effects of the black hole should effect both particles equally.

It isn't always the antiparticle that falls in. See
George Jones said:
Hawking radiation does not come about because antimatter particles sometimes fall into black holes; it comes about because negative-energy particles (both matter and animatter) sometimes fall into black holes. Some popular-level treatments of black holes obscure this, and even sometime get this completely wrong.

Steve Carlip has written a non-mathematical virtual particle description of Hawking radiation which is more challenging than most non-mathematical descriptions, but which also is more accurate than most non-mathematical descriptions.

http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Text/Carlip.html#Hawkrad

What happens, very roughly, is this. Energy is associated with time and spatial momentum is associated with space. When an matter-antimatter pair of virtual particles is created *outside* the event horizon, they can become a little bit separated in the time that the Heisenberg uncertainty principle allows them to live. Tidal forces caused by the curvature of spacetime help them to separate, and, sometimes, the negative-energy particle (which could be either matter or anitimatter) wanders over the event horizon and into the black hole. Inside the event horizon, the roles of time and space coordinates get interchanged. Thus, according to what I wrote above, the roles of energy and spatial momentum get interchanged. What was negative energy becomes a negative spatial component of a local (for an observer inside the horizon) momentum vector. Only a virtual particle can have negative energy, while any particle, real or virtual, can have a negative component of spatial momentum.

Bottom line: the whole process can become a real process. In this real process, an observer outside a black hole "sees" the black hole hole swallow a negative-energy particle while emiitting a positve energy particle (the other member of the matter-antmatter pair). The balck hole radiates.

The term 'negative' energy is used to express mathematical concepts. It should not be taken more seriously than any other such analogy.

Ok so no matter what particle falls into the event horizon, since it is a virtual particle, has negative energy? and the one that escapes becomes a real particle with positive energy? That makes more sense thank you

Related to A question on virtual antiparticles and Hawking Radiation

1. What are virtual antiparticles?

Virtual antiparticles are particles that have the same mass and spin as their corresponding particles, but have opposite charge. They are constantly created and destroyed in pairs in the vacuum of space, and their existence is predicted by quantum field theory.

2. How do virtual antiparticles relate to Hawking Radiation?

In the theory of Hawking Radiation, it is proposed that when a virtual particle-antiparticle pair is created near the event horizon of a black hole, one of the particles may fall into the black hole while the other escapes as radiation. This results in a net loss of mass for the black hole, causing it to eventually evaporate.

3. Can virtual antiparticles be observed?

No, virtual antiparticles cannot be directly observed because they exist for such a short amount of time before they annihilate with their corresponding particle. However, their effects can be observed indirectly through various phenomena, such as Hawking Radiation.

4. What is the significance of virtual antiparticles and Hawking Radiation?

Virtual antiparticles and Hawking Radiation have important implications for our understanding of black holes and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme gravitational conditions. They also provide a potential solution to the Black Hole Information Paradox, which proposes that information about matter that falls into a black hole is lost forever.

5. Are virtual antiparticles and Hawking Radiation proven to exist?

While there is strong theoretical and observational evidence for the existence of virtual antiparticles and Hawking Radiation, they have not yet been directly observed or proven to exist. Further research and experimentation in the field of quantum gravity and black hole physics may provide more conclusive evidence in the future.