A question on Electromotive Force

In summary, electromotive force (emf) is a measurement of the energy that causes current to flow through a circuit. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts. The charge that is pushed by emf moves from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, but for historical reasons, we designate the direction of current as the opposite.
Lim Y K
May i know if electromotive force (emf) moves from the positive terminal to the negative terminal or a battery through a circuit or is it from the negative terminal to positive terminal?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi Lim
welcome to PF :smile:

Lim Y K said:
May i know if electromotive force (emf) moves from the positive terminal to the negative terminal or a battery through a circuit or is it from the negative terminal to positive terminal?

The EMF doesn't move anywhere

here is a respectable definition from
Definition of Electromotive Force | Chegg.com
http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/definitions/electromotive-force-4

Electromotive force (emf) is a measurement of the energy that causes current to flow through a circuit. It can also be defined as the potential difference in charge between two points in a circuit. Electromotive force is also known as voltage, and it is measured in volts.

several years ago on these forums, NascentOxygen made another important observation ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-definition-of-emf.588037/#post-3822559

Discussion of EMF is usually careful to point out that its measurement requires that the generator (or battery) be on open-circuit or no-load condition, (I=0), so that the voltage you measure at the terminals is equal to the EMF. If there is current flowing, then internal resistance of the generator or motor or battery will cause the voltage you measure at the terminals to differ from the true EMF.
cheers
Dave

Thank you. It has cleared up a misconception that i had but it has also led me to another question - does the charge that is pushed by electromotive force move from positive to negative terminal or the other way round?

If the charge is carried by electrons, which are negatively charged, they move from the negative terminal to the positive one.

However, for historical reasons, we normally designate as the "direction of current", the direction that the charge carriers would flow if they were positively charged, i.e. from the positive terminal to the negative one.

oh. thank you

Related to A question on Electromotive Force

What is electromotive force?

Electromotive force (EMF) is the energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery or generator, to move a charge around a complete circuit.

How is electromotive force measured?

Electromotive force is typically measured in units of volts (V). A voltmeter is used to measure the potential difference between two points in a circuit, which is equal to the EMF.

What factors affect the magnitude of electromotive force?

The magnitude of electromotive force depends on the type of source and the materials used in the circuit. The design of the circuit, the temperature, and the distance between the source and the circuit can also affect the EMF.

What is the difference between electromotive force and voltage?

Electromotive force and voltage are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different concepts. EMF is the energy supplied by the source, while voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

What are some practical applications of electromotive force?

Electromotive force is essential in many everyday devices, such as batteries, generators, and solar panels. It is also used in electronic circuits, power plants, and electric vehicles.