A question on calculating entangled spin probability

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum mechanics tests to demonstrate the violation of Bell's inequality. Specifically, it mentions testing the polarization of entangled photons and using the quantum rule cos^2(Alice's Angle - Bob's Angle) to predict the number of matches between the two detectors. It is noted that when the detectors are at equidistant angles, the overall result will be 0.25. However, when the angles are not equidistant, the expected result can be calculated without individually testing each detector.
rede96
I was trying to understand the QM tests done to show the violation of Bell’s inequality. In the example given this was done by testing the polarization of entangled photons which were positively correlated.

So in the example Alice and Bob are detecting the polarisation for the two entangled photons, using 3 detectors chosen at random, which are at angles of 0 degrees, 120 degrees and 240 degrees.

I was told that the quantum rule to predict the number of matches (e.g. both detected the same spin or both do not detect same spin) was cos^2(Alice's Angle - Bob's Angle)

As these angles are all equidistant then it is easy to see that the overall result will be 0.25 without doing all the individual test, as each individual test’s probability is 0.25

But let’s say the three detectors being used were at angles 10, 60 and 200?

Doing it long hand, i.e. calculating each individual test and adding up all the matches I get appx 0.66

But how would I calculate the expected result without doing all the individual tests? (so I can check I am doing it right!)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've got the answer now thanks.

Related to A question on calculating entangled spin probability

1. What is entangled spin probability?

Entangled spin probability is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the likelihood of two particles, which have interacted and become entangled, having opposite spin values when measured.

2. How is entangled spin probability calculated?

Entangled spin probability is calculated using the formula P = cos^2(theta/2), where P is the probability and theta is the angle between the spin states of the two particles.

3. Why is entangled spin probability important?

Entangled spin probability is important because it is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics that can be used to explain and predict the behavior of entangled particles. It has also been used in applications such as quantum cryptography.

4. Can entangled spin probability be measured?

No, entangled spin probability cannot be measured directly. It is a theoretical concept that describes the likelihood of a certain outcome when measuring the spin states of entangled particles.

5. What are some real-world examples of entangled spin probability?

One example of entangled spin probability is in the process of quantum teleportation, where the entangled spin states of particles are used to transfer information between distant locations. Another example is in quantum computing, where entangled spin states are used to perform calculations and store information.