A question on building research experience.

In summary, the individual is planning to apply to grad school and has just been offered a research assistant position in psychology. They are wondering if this experience will be considered as research experience when applying for grad school, despite not being in their intended field of study. Others suggest that the skills gained in this position can still be valuable and can help strengthen their application across different dimensions.
Marco12
Hi,

I'm two years away from graduating with a bachelors and I am planning to apply to grad school. I know that research experience is important, but I haven't had any opportunities play out until now.

I got offered a research assistant position, but the research is not on science. It is basically a psychology research and my task will be to go out and interview people and ask them a few questions and use excel to save all the data.

My question is, when I apply for grad school, will they take this as research experience considering this isn't even a physics or scientific research?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Take it if you think you can actually do it and you don't find something else soon.

When acting as a reference for someone, you are often required to assess the candidate across a number of dimensions. These include such categories as: communication, leadership, independence, and initiative. So, while the skill set and knowledge you gain from such an experience may not be directly applicable to your intended degree, such a position help to bolster your application in those other dimensions.

some of these skills cross over to physics research (spreadsheet programming, data analysis, and perhaps something more if you decide to do something related to neuroscience/physics ed)... so I agree with the other posters... you will get something to talk about, and that would be better than nothing. And then try to use it as a springboard to get into a research spot in your field... through your own department or an REU.

Um...psychology is a science.

Related to A question on building research experience.

1. What is research experience?

Research experience refers to the hands-on experience gained by conducting studies and experiments in a specific field of study. It involves developing research questions, designing methods to answer those questions, collecting and analyzing data, and interpreting and communicating the results.

2. Why is research experience important?

Research experience is important because it allows individuals to develop critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills. It also provides an opportunity to gain practical knowledge and apply theoretical concepts learned in the classroom. Additionally, research experience is highly valued by graduate schools and employers, as it demonstrates a strong work ethic and a commitment to a specific field of study.

3. How can one gain research experience?

There are several ways to gain research experience. One can participate in research projects at their university or college, apply for internships or volunteer positions at research institutions or labs, or conduct independent research projects. It is also beneficial to network with professors and researchers in your field of interest and ask for opportunities to assist with their research.

4. What are the benefits of having research experience?

Having research experience can lead to various benefits, such as developing valuable skills, enhancing your resume or CV, and increasing your chances of being accepted into graduate programs. It can also provide opportunities for publication and presentation at conferences, which can help advance your academic or professional career.

5. Can research experience be gained in any field of study?

Yes, research experience can be gained in any field of study. While it is commonly associated with science and technology fields, research experience can also be obtained in social sciences, humanities, and other disciplines. The key is to identify a research question that interests you and find opportunities to gain hands-on experience in that area.