A question about Zee's book QFT in a nutshell

In summary, there are differing opinions on whether a potential can exist in relativistic QFT. Some sources mention potential-like terms, but there is debate on whether these can truly be considered potentials. Additionally, there may be inconsistencies with commutation of spacelike observables in relativistic QFT. Further research, such as reading Weinberg's first QFT volume, is needed to fully understand the role of potentials in QFT.
ftr
I have read( even Peter Donis mentioned it) that the derivation of the potential between two particles is not a true QFT, why is that? if not, then what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ftr said:
I have read( even Peter Donis mentioned it)

Please give specific references.

I will search for the post. I am sure of it but I don't have the time now. I think even Zee himself makes a passing remark.

In non-relativistic QFT, there can be a potential, eg. https://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys7450/phys7450_sp10/notes/2nd_quantization.pdf

However, there is usually not a potential in relativistic QFT. This is because even in classical relativistic field theory, a potential will cause faster than light interactions. However, I am not sure whether there is a formal proof that all potentials are inconsistent with commutation of spacelike observables in relativistic QFT.

Weinberg's first QFT volume https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521670535/?tag=pfamazon01-20 discusses when the external field approximation can be used (eg. section 13.6)

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I am still digging. But to add to the confusion, Zee at the beginning of Feynman Diagrams(page 41) says that so far we have been doing (in previuos chapters) non interacting theory! So I guess QFT should be interacting.

Related to A question about Zee's book QFT in a nutshell

1. What is QFT in a nutshell?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the interactions between particles in the quantum world. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to create a consistent mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

2. Who is Zee and why is his book important?

Zee, also known as A. Zee, is an American physicist and author who has made significant contributions to the field of QFT. His book, "QFT in a Nutshell", is considered an essential resource for anyone studying this complex subject. It presents the material in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to both beginners and experts in the field.

3. Is "QFT in a Nutshell" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "QFT in a Nutshell" is suitable for beginners who have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity. Zee's writing style and clear explanations make it easier for beginners to grasp the concepts of QFT. However, it is still a challenging subject, and some background knowledge in mathematics and physics is recommended.

4. What makes "QFT in a Nutshell" different from other QFT textbooks?

One of the main differences is Zee's approach to teaching QFT. He focuses on the conceptual understanding of the subject rather than just the mathematical formalism. This makes the book more accessible to a wider audience. Additionally, Zee includes chapters on topics that are not commonly covered in other QFT textbooks, such as supersymmetry and string theory.

5. Can "QFT in a Nutshell" be used as a reference book?

Yes, "QFT in a Nutshell" can be used as a reference book for both students and researchers in the field. It covers a wide range of topics in QFT and provides clear explanations and examples. However, it is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, and readers may need to consult other textbooks or resources for a more in-depth understanding of certain topics.