A question about the theory of relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of traveling at high speeds similar to the speed of light on the perceived size of a star due to the theory of relativity. It also raises the question of whether a star can turn into a black hole under these conditions. The concept of relativistic mass is mentioned, but it is noted that the process of a star collapsing into a black hole is a physical process and not just an observational effect. It is also suggested that the conditions for a star to become a black hole may be different in a reference frame where the star is moving at a constant velocity.
IDOGAWACONAN

Homework Statement

If I fly at the speed which is similar to the speed of light,and I am watching a still star,then because of the theory of relativity,the size of the star will change.If the size of the star turn to the size of a neutron star or a black hole,what will happen?Will I see a neutron star or a black hole?(My English is terrible,so I am sorry if you can't understand it well)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I am not an expert on relativity in any way really, but the length contraction caused by the lorentz equations would only possibly alter the size of the object that you see, not what it actually "looks" like. A black star "looks" completely different to a star as light cannot escape its gravity, but you moving similar to the speed of light wouldn't make much difference I don't think.

Welcome to PF!

You may want to search your references for "Penrose-Terrell Rotation" and see if that will allow you to draw your own conclusion regarding your questions.

But the mass of the star will grow.When it's beyond the Chandrasekhar'limit,should it become a black hole?

The relativistic mass of the star will grow, but not the rest mass. A star collapsing to a black hole is a very real, local, physical process and not an "observational" effect only, like relativistic mass. You can think of relativistic mass as a kind of a "transformation cheat" used in special relativity to make many other mechanical interactions appear Newtonian.

Others here may be able to offer you a better explanation.

Filip Larsen said:
The relativistic mass of the star will grow, but not the rest mass. A star collapsing to a black hole is a very real, local, physical process and not an "observational" effect only, like relativistic mass. You can think of relativistic mass as a kind of a "transformation cheat" used in special relativity to make many other mechanical interactions appear Newtonian.
Excellent points.

As far as I know, the conditions under which a star is able to become a black hole (i.e. Chandrasekhar limit) only apply when measured in the rest frame of the star. If you wanted to figure out the conditions required for a star to become a black hole in a reference frame in which the star is moving with some constant velocity, they would presumably be different. In particular, the critical density required to form the black hole would probably be higher. I haven't done the math, so I might be wrong, but it seems like there would be a logical inconsistency if a black hole (i.e. event horizon) existed in one distant inertial reference frame but not another.

Related to A question about the theory of relativity

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how gravity works and how objects move in space and time.

2. How does the theory of relativity differ from the Newtonian theory of gravity?

The Newtonian theory of gravity is based on the idea that gravity is a force between two masses, while the theory of relativity describes gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

3. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating reference frames, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and acceleration.

4. How has the theory of relativity been proven?

The theory of relativity has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, including the bending of starlight by the sun's gravity, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the time dilation of moving atomic clocks.

5. Can the theory of relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the theory of relativity has practical applications in various fields such as GPS technology, particle accelerators, and space travel. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics and our understanding of the universe.