A question about the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment

In summary, the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment captures my attention and after deep thought about it, I find it really startling and totally punishing to my common sense. My question is: Can you predict the future, say, a human's mind, using the quantum eraser? I imagine a modified version of the initial quantum eraser experiment. In the initial experiment, there were detectors that are able to tell us "which-path" information and detectors that obscure the "which-path" information which act as quantum erasers. Let's say the experiment is set up so that there is a switch, the switch that controls whether the photons will be directed at two detectors that we are able to differentiate(we are able
eyeseefan
This delayed choice quantum eraser experiment captured my attention and after deep thought about it, I find it really startling and totally punishing to my common sense. My question is: Can you predict the future, say, a human's mind, using the quantum eraser? I imagine a modified version of the initial quantum eraser experiment. In the initial experiment, there were detectors that are able to tell us "which-path" information and detectors that obscure the "which-path" information which act as quantum erasers.
Let's say the experiment is set up so that there is a switch, the switch that controls whether the photons will be directed at two detectors that we are able to differentiate(we are able to tell which-path) and whether the photons will be directed to a quantum eraser(no which-path information).
Now we shoot a collection of photons to the double slit and separate them into entangled particles, one of which(let's say particle A) will go to the screen, and the other(let's say B) to the detectors. Let's make the other entangled particle(particle B) travel a really long path so that maybe only 1 hour(a bit exaggerated) after the experiment(after the pattern is detected on the screen), this entangled particle will be able to reach the detectors controlled by the switch. During this "1 hour", we are totally free to control the switch, but an pattern is already formed on the screen. Let's say we see an interference pattern on the screen before this "1 hour", aren't we able to turn the switch during this "1 hour" to force the entangled particles arrive at the detectors which we are able to tell "which-path"? Isn't this a paradox? Or does it imply that free will doesn't exist and our human mind(whether we choose to turn the switch or not) is predictable?
I must have missed something in my argument. Can anyone help to point out?

Physics news on Phys.org
eyeseefan said:
I must have missed something in my argument. Can anyone help to point out?
Yes, you are missing the part about coincidence counting.
eyeseefan said:
During this "1 hour", we are totally free to control the switch, but an pattern is already formed on the screen.
There is never interference pattern on the screen. Interference is observed only when part of the "clicks" in detectors is considered.
The experiment goes like this. You emit photon pairs with low intensity so that there is no problem telling apart the pairs by looking at the "clicking" time in detectors. Then you take clicks in one of the detectors from side B and take only matching (by time) clicks in detector at side A. And in this subset you can or can't see the interference pattern.

Likes vanhees71
A surprisingly common mistake.
And it's a good reason I do not consider quantum eraser's interference pattern as equally interesting as the one in the usual double-slit experiment. In the normal experiment, the interference pattern is bright in places where neither slit's solo lump pattern is bright - i.e. photons often go to places you wouldn't expect them to. In the eraser setup, the interference is always less bright than the lump pattern - the lump pattern is effectively just decomposed into two complementary interference patterns - photons go to the same old boring places and you just found an interesting way to group them and find a pattern where there is none.

Related to A question about the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment

1. What is the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment is a thought experiment that was first proposed by physicist John Wheeler in the late 1970s. It involves a setup where a particle can either behave as a wave or a particle depending on whether or not its path is observed. This experiment has been conducted in various forms and has sparked much debate and controversy in the field of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment work?

In the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment, a particle is sent through a series of slits and then detected on a screen. However, before the particle reaches the screen, there is a second detector that can determine which path the particle took. If this second detector is turned on, the particle behaves as a particle and creates an interference pattern on the screen. But if the second detector is turned off, the particle behaves as a wave and creates an interference pattern. This shows that the act of observation can affect the behavior of the particle.

3. What does the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment tell us about quantum mechanics?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment challenges our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of the observer in quantum mechanics. It suggests that the act of observation can influence the behavior of particles and that particles can exist in multiple states until they are observed. This experiment also raises questions about the concept of causality and whether events can have retroactive effects.

4. What are the implications of the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment?

The implications of the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment are still being debated in the scientific community. Some believe that it supports the idea of a multiverse, where all possible outcomes of a quantum experiment occur in parallel universes. Others argue that it shows the limitations of our understanding of quantum mechanics and the need for further research and experimentation.

5. Has the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment been conducted in a real-world setting?

Yes, the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment has been conducted in various forms in laboratories around the world. One notable experiment was conducted by scientists at the University of Vienna in 2012, where they were able to demonstrate the delayed choice effect with photons. However, there are still debates and controversies surrounding the interpretation of the results and the implications of this experiment.