A question about linear transformations

In summary, the domain and range of a linear transformation T:W->W will remain the same when written with respect to a different basis B. However, the matrix associated with this basis, [T]_B, can also be seen as a map from the coordinate space R^n to itself under the isomorphism B:V->R^n. Therefore, in this sense, the domain of [T]_B is R^n and the range is the image of the range of T under the isomorphism B:V->R^n. It would be incorrect to say [T]_B : V->V.
Artusartos
If we have a linear transformation T:W -> W. Then if we write T with respect to a different basis B, will the domain and range still be W? So, will we have [itex][T]_B : W \rightarrow W[/itex] ?

If not, can anybody explain to me why?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the domain and range will remain the same.

micromass is of course quite right in an intrinsic sense. nothing auxiliary changes the domain and range of a map.

still i look at these things a little differently. to me a basis is an isomorphism from the given vector space V to a coordinate space R^n.

then the matrix associated to that basis is a map from coordinate space to itself.

i.e. if T:V-->V, and the basis B defines the isom B:V-->R^n,

then we have [T]B:R^n-->R^n, where the composition

B^-1o[T]BoB: V-->R^n-->R^n-->V equals T:V-->V.

Thus in this sense, the domain of [T]B is R^n not V, and the range of [T]B is the image of the range of T under the isomorphism B:V-->R^n.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
micromass is of course quite right in an intrinsic sense. nothing auxiliary changes the domain and range of a map.

still i look at these things a little differently. to me a basis is an isomorphism from the given vector space V to a coordinate space R^n.

then the matrix associated to that basis is a map from coordinate space to itself.

i.e. if T:V-->V, and the basis B defines the isom B:V-->R^n,

then we have [T]B:R^n-->R^n, where the composition

B^-1o[T]BoB: V-->R^n-->R^n-->V equals T:V-->V.

Thus in this sense, the domain of [T]B is R^n not V, and the range of [T]B is the image of the range of T under the isomorphism B:V-->R^n.

I'm not sure if I understand this...You say that micromass's answer would be considered right, but then you say "domain of [T]B is R^n not V, and the range of [T]B is the image of the range of T under the isomorphism B:V-->R^n." So would it be wrong to say [itex][T]_B : V \rightarrow V[/itex]?

Yes, the domain and range will still be W if we write T with respect to a different basis B. This is because a linear transformation is defined by its effect on the vector space, not by the basis we use to represent it. The notation [T]_B : W \rightarrow W simply means that we are representing the linear transformation T with respect to the basis B, but it does not change the underlying vector space W.

To understand this concept further, consider the analogy of a map. A map represents the same geographical area regardless of the language used to label the places on the map. Similarly, a linear transformation represents the same vector space regardless of the basis used to represent it.

In mathematics, we often use different bases to represent the same vector space because it can make certain calculations or proofs easier. However, the underlying vector space remains the same. So, the notation [T]_B : W \rightarrow W simply indicates that we are representing the linear transformation T with respect to the basis B, but it does not change the domain and range of the transformation.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion.

Related to A question about linear transformations

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another, while preserving the basic algebraic properties of the vectors, such as addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers. The dimensions of the matrix depend on the number of dimensions in the input and output vector spaces.

3. What are some real-life applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, data compression, and machine learning. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze linear systems.

4. What are the properties of a linear transformation?

A linear transformation must satisfy two key properties: it must preserve vector addition (f(u+v) = f(u) + f(v)) and scalar multiplication (f(ku) = kf(u)). This means that the transformation must be consistent and predictable.

5. How can I determine if a transformation is linear?

A transformation can be tested for linearity by checking if it satisfies the two key properties mentioned above. Additionally, if the transformation can be represented by a matrix, it is linear. Non-linear transformations do not satisfy these properties and cannot be represented by a matrix.