A question about kaon masses and decay widths

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of creating a software to simulate a neutral kaon system using specific data on masses and decay widths. The poster is struggling with parametrizing the values and asks for help on how to implement them in a program. Eventually, they are able to solve the problem with the help of the PDG website.
Qubix

Homework Statement

Ok, so I need to make a software that will simulate a neutral kaon system, and I only have the following data about the masses and decay widths:

gammaS = 580*gammaL {S = short lived state, L = long lived state}

mS - mL = 0.477*gammaS

Homework Equations

How to implement these numerically in a program? (i.e. what values to give each of the four terms)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried

gammaS = 580
gammaL = 1
mS = 277.6
mL = 1

doesn't work :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by

"
I tried

gammaS = 580
gammaL = 1
mS = 277.6
mL = 1
" ?

What do you mean by " doesn't work :(" ?

You haven't really told us anything...

I need to parametrize these values in order to verify a bell inequality, and the result that I get is not ok. This was my question, how can I parametrize these 4 values with the information above, because it seems that only the mL-mS difference is measured, but I haven't found mS and mL themselves.

mL and mS are the Kaon mass.

Dauto, I know they represent the masses of the short and long lived states. The problem is I cannot find their numerical values anywhere, only their difference. Does anyone know what are the specific values of ms and ml?

L.E. Ok , so I managed to solve it and it works. Topic can be closed.

Last edited:
In the future if you need data on any particles a good place to look is the particle data group (PDG) website

Related to A question about kaon masses and decay widths

What are kaons and why are their masses and decay widths important?

Kaons are subatomic particles that are part of the hadron family. Their masses and decay widths play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe, particularly in the study of particle physics and quantum mechanics.

What is the relationship between kaon mass and decay width?

The mass and decay width of a kaon are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the mass of a particle, the less precisely we can know its decay width and vice versa.

What is the current understanding of kaon masses and decay widths?

The current understanding of kaon masses and decay widths is based on experimental data and theoretical predictions from the Standard Model of particle physics. However, there are still some discrepancies between the observed measurements and theoretical calculations, leading to ongoing research and investigations.

What techniques are used to measure kaon masses and decay widths?

Various techniques are used to measure kaon masses and decay widths, such as particle accelerators, detectors, and statistical analysis. These methods involve studying the energy and momentum of particles produced in high-energy collisions and analyzing their decay products.

How do kaon masses and decay widths contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Kaons play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces. Studying their masses and decay widths can provide insights into the behavior of matter and antimatter, the origin of the universe, and the search for new particles and phenomena beyond the Standard Model.