A question about Friedmann Equations

In summary, The k term in the Friedmann equation represents the curvature term k = 0, -1 & +1 and is restricted to these values because coordinates in FRW models can always be rescaled so that k only takes these values. It represents the curvature of the spatial hypersurfaces in each fixed value of cosmological time, not the curvature of spacetime. Today, the focus is on measuring Omega_k instead of k and the freedom to rescale the coordinates is already taken up by the convenient choices made to apply the FRW equations.
$id
Hello everyone,

Its been 4 years now since I posted, Last time i was asking for school homework and now I'm about to finish my physics master degree with 1 exam left in cosmology.

As I'm sure you are aware, the k term in the Friedmann equation represents the curvature term k = 0, -1 & +1. I have a few queries about this.

Why is this term restricted to these values? Is a continuous k not valid under the FRW model?
Secondly, more generally, does this k represent the "shape of the universe" and is different from the curvature in GR?

sid

Space news on Phys.org
$id said:
Why is this term restricted to these values? Is a continuous k not valid under the FRW model?

Yes, but coordinates in FRW models that allows this can always be rescaled so that k only takes the values -1, 0, 1.
$id said:
Secondly, more generally, does this k represent the "shape of the universe" and is different from the curvature in GR?

k represents the curvature of the spatial hypersurfaces that result for each fixed value of cosmological time, not the curvature of spacetime.

George Jones said:
Yes, but coordinates in FRW models that allows this can always be rescaled so that k only takes the values -1, 0, 1.
Yup. However, today we often don't worry about measuring k, but instead Omega_k, which most certainly does take on a continuous value. Also, I may be mistaken, as it's been a while since I looked at this, but I think that the freedom to rescale the coordinates is already taken up by the convenient choices we make in order to apply the FRW equations to measuring the expansion (t = 0 at the false singularity, t = 1 today).

Related to A question about Friedmann Equations

1. What are the Friedmann Equations?

The Friedmann Equations are a set of equations used in cosmology to describe the expansion of the universe. They were developed by the Russian physicist Alexander Friedmann in the 1920s.

2. What do the Friedmann Equations tell us about the universe?

The Friedmann Equations describe the rate of expansion of the universe, as well as its density and curvature. They also allow us to make predictions about the future of the universe, such as whether it will continue expanding or eventually collapse.

3. How do the Friedmann Equations relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Friedmann Equations are an important component of the Big Bang theory. They help us understand the early stages of the universe and how it has evolved over time.

4. Are the Friedmann Equations consistent with observations of the universe?

Yes, the Friedmann Equations have been extensively tested and are consistent with observations of the universe. They are an essential tool for understanding the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Can the Friedmann Equations be used to study other universes?

Yes, the Friedmann Equations can be applied to other universes with different properties, such as different rates of expansion or curvature. They are a fundamental tool for studying the universe on a cosmological scale.