A question about conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of momentum in regards to a boat filled with frogs jumping off. It explains that if all the frogs jump simultaneously in the same direction, the boat will get a velocity v1 in the opposite direction due to conservation of momentum. However, if the frogs jump separately, the boat will get a larger velocity v2. The conversation also mentions the formula and derivation for this concept and discusses the mechanics of the frogs' jumps. It concludes by clarifying that v is relative to the boat, while v1 and v2 are relative to the water.
papercace
Let's say you've got a boat filled with n frogs of mass m each. Let's also say that all the frogs jump simultaneously out of the boat in the same direction with velocity v, then the boat will get a velocity v1 in the opposite direction because of conservation of momentum.

Now if we instead let each frog jump separately with velocity v, the boat will get a velocity v2 that is bigger than v1.

I did see the formula and the derivation for why the boat gets a different velocity, but I'm still not getting it intuitively. If the same mass is leaving the boat at the same velocity, why does the boats velocity differ depending upon when the mass leaves the boat?

Physics news on Phys.org
papercace said:
Let's say you've got a boat filled with n frogs of mass m each. Let's also say that all the frogs jump simultaneously out of the boat in the same direction with velocity v, then the boat will get a velocity v1 in the opposite direction because of conservation of momentum.

Now if we instead let each frog jump separately with velocity v, the boat will get a velocity v2 that is bigger than v1.

I did see the formula and the derivation for why the boat gets a different velocity, but I'm still not getting it intuitively. If the same mass is leaving the boat at the same velocity, why does the boats velocity differ depending upon when the mass leaves the boat?

What happens if all the frogs do an identical jump (it terms of the mechanics of their jump)?

papercace said:
If the same mass is leaving the boat at the same velocity, why does the boats velocity differ...
Those two velocities are relative to what?

Likes Buzz Bloom and vanhees71
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi papercace:

Perhaps the following will be helpful.

Regard,
Buzz

Yes I know what impulse is. If the frogs jump simultaneously, then the impulse time will be short but the force impacted on the boat will be large. If they jump one after the other, the force of each jump will be small but they will do it over a longer time. In the end they should add up to be the same impulse, I think.

PeroK said:
What happens if all the frogs do an identical jump (it terms of the mechanics of their jump)?

Sorry I don't understand your question.

A.T. said:
Those two velocities are relative to what?

Yeah I should have stated that. v is relative to the boat while v1 and v2 are relative to the water.

papercace said:
Yeah I should have stated that. v is relative to the boat while v1 and v2 are relative to the water.
So what is the velocity of the frogs with respect to the water in the two cases?

papercace said:
That still leaves v ambiguous -- relative to the boat pre-leap, post-leap or mid-leap?

Related to A question about conservation of momentum

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved and does not change unless an external force is applied.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to real-life situations?

The conservation of momentum applies to most real-life situations involving collisions, such as car crashes, sports, and even the movement of celestial bodies in space. It is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to analyze and predict the motion of objects.

3. Can momentum be lost or gained in a collision?

No, momentum cannot be lost or gained in a collision. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of all objects involved in a collision must remain constant. This means that any changes in momentum of one object must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in momentum of the other object.

4. How is the conservation of momentum related to Newton's third law of motion?

The conservation of momentum is directly related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In a collision, the two objects involved exert equal and opposite forces on each other, resulting in the conservation of momentum.

5. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of momentum?

There are a few rare situations where the law of conservation of momentum may not apply, such as in extremely high-energy collisions involving subatomic particles or in cases where external forces, such as friction, are present. However, in most everyday situations, the conservation of momentum holds true.