A question about angular momentum and torques....

In summary: This is because the law of conservation of angular momentum states that the overall angular momentum of a system must remain constant, which means that if the rotational inertia decreases, the angular velocity must increase to compensate and keep the overall angular momentum constant. This also means that if the rotational inertia increases, the angular velocity must decrease to maintain the same angular momentum. This explains why there is no torque acting on the person in the given scenario, as the change in angular velocity is due to the change in rotational inertia, not an external torque.
NoahCygnus
There is something I don't quite understand about the law of conservation of angular momentum.
AgXgxQC.png

Let's say a person is rotating about an axis passing through his/her centre of mass, with an angular speed speed ω1, and has a rotational inertia I1 about about the centre of mass. No torque is acting on the person. The person lowers his arms bringing them closer to his body, lowering the rotational inertia to I2. As no torque acts on him, the angular momentum shouldn't change, so the angular speed goes up and he starts rotating faster, with an angular speed of ω2. But there is a change in angular velocity, that means there is an angular acceleration, and we know τ = Iα , so a torque should act on the person. I don't quite understand this, I would appreciate if you explain to me why there will be no torque if there is an angular acceleration on the person.

Physics news on Phys.org
NoahCygnus said:
we know τ = Iα
If moment of inertia is fixed, then ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt} = \frac {d(I \omega)}{dt} = I \frac{d \omega}{dt} = I\alpha##.

But if moment of inertia is not fixed then ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt} = \frac{d(I \omega)}{dt} = I \frac{d \omega}{dt} + \omega \frac{dI}{dt} = I\alpha + \omega \frac{dI}{dt}##.

As already in translational motion an acceleration doesn't necessarily imply the action of a force but only a change in momentum. If mass changes also the speed changes such that the momentum stays constant. Here it's the same: A torque is only necessary to change angular momentum, but here ##L## stays unchanged, i.e., ##I_1 \omega_1=I_2 \omega_2##.

vanhees71 said:
As already in translational motion an acceleration doesn't necessarily imply the action of a force but only a change in momentum. If mass changes also the speed changes such that the momentum stays constant. Here it's the same: A torque is only necessary to change angular momentum, but here ##L## stays unchanged, i.e., ##I_1 \omega_1=I_2 \omega_2##.
In case of linear momentum, if a body's mass changes, there is a change in velocity due to internal forces, which we cancel out when we consider the entire system, that is the remaining mass and mass ejected. I can't relate that to angular momentum, I can't seem to imagine how internal torques can cause a change in angular velocity.

jbriggs444 said:
If moment of inertia is fixed, then ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt} = \frac {d(I \omega)}{dt} = I \frac{d \omega}{dt} = I\alpha##.

But if moment of inertia is not fixed then ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt} = \frac{d(I \omega)}{dt} = I \frac{d \omega}{dt} + \omega \frac{dI}{dt} = I\alpha + \omega \frac{dI}{dt}##.
I get it, inertial mass is also variable so we have to use the second equation. But how does that explain why there is no torque? Unless ω dI/dt = Iα , I don't understand how there will be no torque.

NoahCygnus said:
In case of linear momentum, if a body's mass changes, there is a change in velocity due to internal forces, which we cancel out when we consider the entire system, that is the remaining mass and mass ejected. I can't relate that to angular momentum, I can't seem to imagine how internal torques can cause a change in angular velocity.
Again: A torque changes angular momentum, not necessarily angular velocity. In your example there is no torque, and thus angular momentum stays constant. Since the moment of inertia around the rotation axis changes, angular velocity must change such as to keep angular momentum constant.

For a simple example with translational motion, think about a wagon filled with water, running on a horizontal track along the ##x##-direction with the water flowing out (perpendicular to the plane). Then momentum is constant, which means (since the water doesn't transfer any momentum in ##x## direction)
$$\dot{m} v + m \dot{v}=0.$$
Now assume, for simplicty ##\dot{m}=\mu=\text{const}##, and you get
$$\dot{v}=-\frac{\mu}{m} v.$$
So what happens (note that in the exampe ##\mu<0##)?

Likes jbriggs444
NoahCygnus said:
I get it, inertial mass is also variable so we have to use the second equation. But how does that explain why there is no torque? Unless ω dI/dt = Iα , I don't understand how there will be no torque.
You have a sign error there. ##\omega \frac{dI}{dt} = - I \alpha##

Edit: This makes sense. If you increase angular rotation rate while holding angular momentum constant, you must be decreasing the moment of inertia.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

Related to A question about angular momentum and torques....

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum and torque are directly related through the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia or a higher angular velocity will have a greater angular momentum.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that in the absence of external torques, the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant.

4. How does changing the distribution of mass affect an object's angular momentum?

Changing the distribution of mass in an object will affect its moment of inertia, which in turn will affect its angular momentum. An object with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum, while an object with a smaller moment of inertia will have a smaller angular momentum.

5. Can an object have angular momentum without rotating?

No, an object cannot have angular momentum without rotating. Angular momentum is a product of both an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity, so in order to have angular momentum, the object must be rotating.