A question about an explanation of the electrical resistance of perfect lattice

In summary: You'll have to follow the usual way in solid state physics texts.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of perfect periodic ion lattice having no electrical resistance. This can be explained by solving the Schrodinger equation using Bloch theorem or through the coherent constructive interference of scattered waves in a periodic array of scatterers. However, there is no quantitative verification of this explanation, as it is an idealization of electron transport in metals. Attempts to theoretically verify this explanation have not been successful due to inconsistencies in summing scattered waves.
wenty
Perfect periodic ion lattice has no electrical resistance.As we know,this can be easily shown by solving the Schrodinger equation using Bloch therom.Yet,another explanation is that "in a periodic array of scatterers a wave can propagate without attenuation because of the coherent constructive interference of the scattered waves."(Ashcroft,Solid state physics)

Does anyone know where to find the quantitative verification of this explanation,for example,in 1D periodic sqare well potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
wenty said:
Perfect periodic ion lattice has no electrical resistance.As we know,this can be easily shown by solving the Schrodinger equation using Bloch therom.Yet,another explanation is that "in a periodic array of scatterers a wave can propagate without attenuation because of the coherent constructive interference of the scattered waves."(Ashcroft,Solid state physics)

Does anyone know where to find the quantitative verification of this explanation,for example,in 1D periodic sqare well potential?

Unless I missed something, there isn't any quantitative verification of such things, because it is an idealization of electron transport in metals. It is useful to describe various first-order effects such as the Drude model and such, but you will never get the "no electrical resistance" part being experimentally verified, at least, not with the model here (superconductivity has a different model).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unless I missed something, there isn't any quantitative verification of such things, because it is an idealization of electron transport in metals. It is useful to describe various first-order effects such as the Drude model and such, but you will never get the "no electrical resistance" part being experimentally verified, at least, not with the model here (superconductivity has a different model).

Zz.

Then what about verify this explanation theoretically?

wenty said:
Then what about verify this explanation theoretically?

How does one "verify" a theory theoretically? If it is mathematically consistent, it's "verified".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
How does one "verify" a theory theoretically? If it is mathematically consistent, it's "verified".

Zz.
Sorry,Maybe I failed to express my thought properly.

What I mean is that:

I summed the scattered waves and can't get the result that "wave can propagate without attenuation".I don't know what's wrong,so I wonder if I can find some reference or some calculation based on this idea.

wenty said:
Sorry,Maybe I failed to express my thought properly.

What I mean is that:

I summed the scattered waves and can't get the result that "wave can propagate without attenuation".I don't know what's wrong,so I wonder if I can find some reference or some calculation based on this idea.

Let me understand this correctly. You have Bloch wavefunction (or is it a sum of Bloch wavefunctions?), and you want to know how it can propagate without "attenuation"? You have to admit that you are not giving us a lot to go on here. Unless you want to tell me what exactly you're "summing", I will have to continue making guesses on what exactly you are doing.

Zz.

Take periodic square barrier potential for example.As illustrated in the figure,a plane wave Exp(ikx) incident on barrier 1,and if there is no other barrier the transmitted wave and reflected wave is T*Exp(ikx) and R*Exp(-ikx).When there are other barriers the scattered waves will be scattered and then scattered once and once.I add up all of these waves and can't get the result that the Exp(-ikx) terms canceled.I want to know what's wrong?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
wenty said:
Take periodic square barrier potential for example.As illustrated in the figure,a plane wave Exp(ikx) incident on barrier 1,and if there is no other barrier the transmitted wave and reflected wave is T*Exp(ikx) and R*Exp(-ikx).When there are other barriers the scattered waves will be scattered and then scattered once and once.I add up all of these waves and can't get the result that the Exp(-ikx) terms canceled.I want to know what's wrong?

Just how exactly did you add all of them? I mean, your "x" is only valid for a particular square barrier. Other square barrier are at locations x+R, x+2R, x+3R... and x-R, x-2R, x-3R, ... where R is the lattice constant. You then have the Bloch boundary condition where [tex]\Psi (x+nR) = \Psi (x)[/tex]. So considering all of these necessary criteria, I do not know how you "add" these things.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Just how exactly did you add all of them? I mean, your "x" is only valid for a particular square barrier. Other square barrier are at locations x+R, x+2R, x+3R... and x-R, x-2R, x-3R, ... where R is the lattice constant. You then have the Bloch boundary condition where [tex]\Psi (x+nR) = \Psi (x)[/tex]. So considering all of these necessary criteria, I do not know how you "add" these things.

Zz.

I'll reconsider it.Thank you very much!

Also notice that you are not using periodic (BvK) boundary conditions in the way you set up the problem - in fact, it's not clear how you pick an origin. So, you will not get Bloch solutions going about it this way.

Related to A question about an explanation of the electrical resistance of perfect lattice

1. What is a perfect lattice?

A perfect lattice is a theoretical arrangement of atoms or molecules in a solid material where they are arranged in a perfect, repeating pattern with no defects or imperfections.

2. How does the perfect lattice affect electrical resistance?

The perfect lattice's regular structure allows for electrons to flow through it without hindrance, resulting in a very low electrical resistance compared to materials with impurities or defects.

3. What factors can influence the electrical resistance of a perfect lattice?

The main factors that can affect the electrical resistance of a perfect lattice are temperature, impurities, and defects. Higher temperatures can cause the atoms or molecules to vibrate more, disrupting the regular lattice structure and increasing resistance. Impurities or defects in the lattice can also impede the flow of electrons, increasing resistance.

4. How is the electrical resistance of a perfect lattice measured?

The electrical resistance of a perfect lattice is typically measured using a device called a resistometer, which applies a known voltage to the material and measures the resulting current. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

5. Is the electrical resistance of a perfect lattice always zero?

No, the electrical resistance of a perfect lattice is not always zero. While it is significantly lower than materials with impurities or defects, it is not completely absent. Additionally, at extremely low temperatures, the regular lattice structure can break down, resulting in an increase in resistance.