A Question about a Paper I recently read (about P+ decay)

• A
  • Thread starter bubbadoobop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay Paper
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed a paper on the Randall-Sundrum model and an equation within it that could potentially lead to a more realistic equation by incorporating the Hamiltonian of a system. However, caution should be taken in interpreting and proposing alternative equations within the context and assumptions of the model. It was also suggested to consult with a more experienced physicist for a better understanding of the complex paper. The speaker appreciated the enthusiasm and engagement with scientific research.
bubbadoobop
So I just read a paper called Fermion masses, mixings and proton decay in a Randall–Sundrum model (it's in Physics Letters B 498(3-4):256–262, but you can also find it at arXiv:hep-ph/0010195v2). Anyways, there us an equation in it [Pg. 8, 4.14] $$ \int \,dx^4 \int \,dy \sqrt{-g} \frac{1}{M_5^3} \bar{\Psi_i}^{(0)}\Psi_j^{(0)} \bar{\Psi_k}^{(0)} \Psi_l^{(0)} \equiv \int \,dx^4 \frac{1}{M_4^2} \bar{\Psi_i}^{(0)}\Psi_j^{(0)} \bar{\Psi_k}^{(0)} \Psi_l^{(0)}$$ So, if we were to make this dependent on the field decomposition equation [Pg. 2, 2.4] $$ \Psi(x^\mu, y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi R}} \sum_{n = 0}^ \infty \Psi^{(n)}(x^\mu) f_n(y)) $$ and the Hamiltonian of a system (H), couldn't the more realistic equation be? $$\Psi(x^\mu, y) \int \,dx^4 \int \,dy \sqrt{-g} \frac{1}{M_5^3} \bar{\Psi_i}^{(0)}\Psi_j^{(0)} \bar{\Psi_k}^{(0)} \Psi_l^{(0)} \equiv \int \,dx^4 \Psi(x^\mu, y) H \frac{1}{M_4^2} \bar{\Psi_i}^{(0)}\Psi_j^{(0)} \bar{\Psi_k}^{(0)} \Psi_l^{(0)}$$

Attachments

• Fermion Masses, Mixings and Proton Decay in a Randall-Sundrum Model.pdf
    146.9 KB · Views: 201
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the paper "Fermion masses, mixings and proton decay in a Randall–Sundrum model." It is always exciting to see people engaging with scientific research and trying to understand it in a deeper way.

I agree that the equation you mentioned, 4.14 on page 8, is interesting and worth exploring further. It relates to the field decomposition equation on page 2, and as you pointed out, it could potentially lead to a more realistic equation if we incorporate the Hamiltonian of a system (H).

However, I would like to caution that it is important to fully understand the context and assumptions of the paper before making any conclusions or proposing alternative equations. The Randall-Sundrum model is a theoretical framework for understanding the hierarchy problem in particle physics, and it makes certain assumptions about the nature of extra dimensions. Therefore, any equations derived within this model should be interpreted within that context.

Furthermore, the paper itself is quite complex and requires a strong background in theoretical physics to fully understand. So, while your idea is interesting, I would suggest consulting with a more experienced physicist before pursuing it further.

In any case, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the subject and your willingness to engage with scientific research. Keep up the curiosity and passion for science!

Related to A Question about a Paper I recently read (about P+ decay)

1. What is P+ decay?

P+ decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a proton (P+) is emitted from the nucleus of an atom. This results in a decrease in the atomic number of the atom and the formation of a new element.

2. How is P+ decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

P+ decay is different from other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha and beta decay, because it involves the emission of a proton rather than an alpha particle or beta particle. Additionally, P+ decay does not result in a change in the mass number of the atom.

3. What is the significance of P+ decay in nuclear physics?

P+ decay is important in nuclear physics because it helps to explain the stability of certain isotopes. Isotopes that undergo P+ decay are typically unstable and have a shorter half-life compared to other isotopes, making them useful for various applications such as medical imaging and cancer treatment.

4. Can P+ decay occur naturally?

Yes, P+ decay can occur naturally in some isotopes, such as technetium-96. However, it is a relatively rare form of radioactive decay compared to other types.

5. How is P+ decay studied in the field of nuclear physics?

P+ decay is studied through various experiments and observations in nuclear physics. Scientists use particle accelerators and detectors to observe and measure the decay of specific isotopes. The data collected from these experiments helps to improve our understanding of the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of subatomic particles.