A question about a computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian

In summary, the author is having difficulty solving an equation for the kinetic term and is looking for help.
Breo
I was hitting against a wall for the last hours.

I am not able to obtain the 1/2 terms in the eq. 5 of this paper and left all in terms of only ##N_i## and ##\overline{N_i}##,neither. Anyone could give me a tip?

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0210271v2.pdf

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean from eq 3? Remember that ##N## and ##\bar N## contain both ##N_R## and ##N_R^c##.

I took that in consideration:

## N_{R_i} = \sqrt{\eta^*}N_i - \eta^*N_{R_i}^c ## and ## N_{R_i}^c = \sqrt{\eta}N_i - \eta N_{R_i}##

And the conjugate ones which change ## \eta^* \longrightarrow \eta ## and viceversa.

Right?

But still do not reach the eq (5) :s

Can you show your attempt? It is difficult to see what you are doing otherwise.

Starting with the derivative term:

##i(\sqrt{\eta}\overline{N_i} - \eta\overline{N_{R_i}^c}) \not\partial(\sqrt{\eta^*}N_i - \eta^*N_{R_i}^c) = i(\overline{N_i}\not\partial N_i - \sqrt{\eta^*}\overline{N_i} \not\partial N_{R_i}^c - \sqrt{\eta}\overline{N_{R_i}^c}\not\partial N_i + \overline{N_{R_i}^c}\not\partial N_{R_i}^c )##

Equalities: ##\sqrt{\eta}\sqrt{\eta^*} = \eta\eta^* = 1 ## and ## \sqrt{\eta}\eta^* = \sqrt{\eta^*}## and ## \eta\sqrt{\eta^*} = \sqrt{\eta}##

But I can not reach a 1/2 and also if I try to go further the whole term vanishes! I did something wrong

Why don't you try it the other way around?

Breo said:
I took that in consideration:

## N_{R_i} = \sqrt{\eta^*}N_i - \eta^*N_{R_i}^c ## and ## N_{R_i}^c = \sqrt{\eta}N_i - \eta N_{R_i}##

You are here essentially writing ##z = w - z^*##. This is not a way to remove ##z## from your equations in favour of ##w##. Remember that ##N_{R_i}## and ##N_{R_i}^c## contain the same degrees of freedom! Your final expression should contain neither ##N_{R_i}## nor its conjugate.

Why don't you try it the other way around?

I can see what do you mean. That would be very "direct" but I should be able to compute it using the way I tried, right?

Last edited:
Breo said:
I can see what do you mean. That would be very "direct" but I should be able to compute it using the way I tried, right?
No, you first need to write the kinetic term in a way that is symmetric wrt ##N_R## and ##N_R^c##, or you will have to use some identities at some point.

Orodruin said:
No, you first need to write the kinetic term in a way that is symmetric wrt ##N_R## and ##N_R^c##, or you will have to use some identities at some point.

Sorry, I was replying to Chris :P

You mean to consider Majorana Fermions so play with ## N_{R_i} = N_{R_i}^c ## ? in the most convenient way?

Breo said:
You mean to consider Majorana Fermions so play with ## N_{R_i} = N_{R_i}^c ## ? in the most convenient way?

No you cannot do that. They are not the same in the notation used in the paper. If I remember correctly, the paper uses Dirac notation for Majorana particles, i.e., ##P_L N_R = 0## and ##P_R N_R^c = 0##. You need to use other ways to rewrite the kinetic term in two.

Orodruin said:
No you cannot do that. They are not the same in the notation used in the paper. If I remember correctly, the paper uses Dirac notation for Majorana particles, i.e., ##P_L N_R = 0## and ##P_R N_R^c = 0##. You need to use other ways to rewrite the kinetic term in two.

Can I compute in momentum space and then comeback to position space again freely? Or there is a way to split the ordinary derivative once for right-handed and once for left-handed interactions? if I understood correctly

The Weyl equations?

Try transposing (half of) the kinetic term. It is a scalar and should remain the same. Then use partial integration.

I have doubts if I can do the following as the mass terms would have free ##N_R ## and ## \overline{N_R}## while integrating:

## \frac{1}{2} i (\overline{N_R}\overset{\leftarrow}{\not{\partial}} +\overset{\rightarrow}{\not{\partial}}N_R) ##

So, since ##N_R## and ## N_R^C ## have the same degrees of freedom, could I decompose the kinetic term as follows?:

## \frac{1}{2} i (\overline{N_R^c}\not{\partial}N_R^c + \overline{N_R}\not{\partial}N_R) ##

Breo said:
could I decompose the kinetic term as follows?
Yes. It simplifies to
##
\frac 12 \overline N i \not\partial N
##

Likes Breo
Thank you very much!

Now the last doubt I have about the computations is what allows me to put the propagator in the action (eq.11) and what to remove the kinetic part.

Are you familiar with how to integrate out heavy degrees of freedom?

Orodruin said:
Are you familiar with how to integrate out heavy degrees of freedom?

I have read something about heavy particles in effective lagrangians. Briefly, looks like this but not at all as it uses fluctuation operators(=propagators?) which formula is as follows:

## \frac{\delta^2 S_{heavy}}{\delta h(x) \delta h (x')} |_{h=h_o} ## you mean smoething about that?

At tree level, which is essentially all you need here, it is basically inserting the classical equations of motion for the field into the Lagrangian to remove the heavy degrees of freedom and obtain an effective Lagrangian. This is what they do if I remember correctly.

Likes Breo

Related to A question about a computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian

1. What is an Effective Lagrangian?

An Effective Lagrangian is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is based on the concept of a Lagrangian function, which represents the total energy of a system and its interactions. Effective Lagrangians are often used to study complex systems that cannot be fully described by traditional Lagrangians.

2. How is a computation done in a paper of Effective Lagrangian?

In a paper of Effective Lagrangian, a computation is typically done using mathematical equations and formulas. These equations are derived from the Lagrangian function and can involve complex integrations and calculations. The specific steps and methods used in a computation will vary depending on the system being studied and the goals of the research.

3. What is the importance of a computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian?

The computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian is important because it allows researchers to make quantitative predictions about the behavior of a system. By using mathematical calculations, researchers can test the validity of their theories and make predictions about how the system will behave under different conditions. This is crucial for advancing our understanding of complex physical systems.

4. Can a computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian be verified?

Yes, a computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian can be verified through various means. One way is through numerical simulations, where the equations and calculations are programmed into a computer and the results can be compared to the theoretical predictions. Another way is through experimental data, where the results of the computation can be compared to actual measurements from physical experiments.

5. How does a computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian contribute to scientific knowledge?

A computation in a paper of Effective Lagrangian contributes to scientific knowledge by providing a quantitative understanding of complex systems. It allows researchers to make predictions and test their theories, which can lead to new insights and discoveries. Additionally, the methods and techniques used in a computation can be applied to other systems, further advancing our understanding of the natural world.