A quantity from schrodinger

In summary, Schrodinger uses the Laplacian in a curved space or non-Euclidean coordinate system, expressed as \Delta_p^\frac{1}{2} and \Delta_p^{-\frac{1}{2}} in his equation. This concept is not specific to statistical mechanics, but may have been considered by Gibbs in that context. The Laplacian is also known as the Laplace-Beltrami operator and can be read about in more detail on Wikipedia. The quantities \Delta_p and a_{i j} are related to the metric and inverse metric, respectively, and can be used to convert between different notations.
Identity
In a paper by schrodinger, he uses [tex]\Delta_p^\frac{1}{2}[/tex], and [tex]\Delta_p^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] in a particular equation:

[tex]\Delta_p^\frac{1}{2} \sum_l \frac{\partial}{\partial q_l}\left(\Delta_p^{-\frac{1}{2}}\sum_k a_{lk} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial q_k}\right)+\frac{8\pi^2}{h^2}(E-V)\psi = 0[/tex]

which he says is "well known from Gibbs' statistical mechanics". Could anyone tell me what particular quantities are, and where I could possibly read more about them (without having to start at the beginning of statistical mechanics)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Identity,

I believe Schrodinger is referring to the Laplacian in a curved space or in a non-Euclidean coordinate system. Although Gibbs may have considered this in the context of certain statistical mechanics systems (like rotors, etc), it doesn't have any necessary connection to statistical mechanics. You may read more about this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace–Beltrami_operator

I believe [tex] \Delta_p = 1/|g| [/tex] (the determinant of the metric) and [tex] a_{i j} = g^{i j} [/tex] (the inverse metric) to convert between your notation and that of wikipedia. If you don't think this is what you want or if you're still confused give another shout.

Thanks man :D

I don't really know much about metrics, but I kind of understand it as a Laplacian in curved space. Schrodinger was using generalised coordinates before, so I guess this would just be the laplacian in those coordinates

Related to A quantity from schrodinger

1. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical formula that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. What is a quantity from Schrodinger's equation?

The quantity from Schrodinger's equation refers to the solutions of the equation, which represent the possible states and properties of a quantum system. These quantities can include the probability of finding a particle in a certain location or the energy of a system.

3. How does Schrodinger's equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

Schrodinger's equation and the uncertainty principle are both fundamental principles in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Schrodinger's equation describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, which is related to the uncertainty of its position.

4. What are some applications of Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation has many applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is also used in quantum computing and in developing new technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

5. What are the limitations of Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation works well for systems with a single particle or a small number of particles, but it becomes increasingly complex for larger systems. It also does not take into account relativistic effects, so it is not applicable to very high-speed particles. Additionally, it does not fully explain certain phenomena, such as the collapse of the wave function during measurement.