A problem on filtering a solution of acid and solid particles

In summary, the speaker has a problem with solid particles reacting with acid in a batch reactor. They want to quickly remove the liquid and dry the particles, but using a normal filter would make it difficult to remove the particles. They are seeking ideas, and someone suggests using a centrifuge but the speaker is unsure if it would affect the shape of the particles. They mention possibly warming up the particles to increase surface area for separation.
pippobaudo
Hello everybody, I have the following problem: I have a batch reactor were I have solid particles reacting with acid. The reactor is stirred. The solid particles are in the range 150-250 micron. I'd like to let them react for a short time, and then quickly remove the liquid face and dry up the solid particles. If I use a normal filter the particles will be attached to the filter and difficult to remove.
If you have any ideas please contact me.
Dino.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you use a centrifuge?

Hello and thanks for the answer,
no i guess the centrifuge is not available here and i don't know if it would be good to use that since I'd like the particle to conserve their shape. May be I should warm up a bit and increase the surface to separate the water. I will think about it

Related to A problem on filtering a solution of acid and solid particles

1. What is the purpose of filtering a solution of acid and solid particles?

The purpose of filtering a solution of acid and solid particles is to separate the solid particles from the liquid solution. This is important in order to obtain a clear solution or to isolate the solid particles for further analysis.

2. What type of filter is best for this type of solution?

The type of filter used will depend on the size and nature of the solid particles in the solution. In general, a filter with small pores, such as a membrane filter, is more effective in removing small particles. However, if the particles are larger or have a gel-like consistency, a filter with larger pores, such as a glass fiber filter, may be more suitable.

3. How can I prevent clogging of the filter during the filtration process?

To prevent clogging of the filter, it is important to pre-filter the solution first to remove any large particles or debris. Additionally, using a filter aid, such as diatomaceous earth, can help to improve the flow of the solution through the filter and prevent clogging.

4. Is it necessary to adjust the pH of the solution before filtering?

In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust the pH of the solution before filtering. This is because certain solid particles may dissolve or become insoluble at different pH levels. It is important to consult the instructions or protocols for the specific acid and solid particles being used to determine if pH adjustment is necessary.

5. How should I dispose of the filtered solution and the used filter?

The filtered solution and the used filter should be disposed of properly according to the guidelines and regulations of your institution or local waste management. In general, the filtered solution can be safely poured down the drain if it is not hazardous, and the used filter should be disposed of in a designated waste container for solid laboratory waste.